Help! Every time I see/talk to him I get depressed :(

But idk how too kick him out of my life! It's my dad he's a very negative person. The types that's all "if I'm not happy then no one should be." He's always been like this. I have called him out on it bt he calls me a liar. When we dnt talk or see each other I'm happy. I just dnt want to live like this any more bc I dnt know how to keep him out of my life. We have a pretty close family and I know I will see him at fam functions and stuff. IDK I just need some help please!

vjoaquin

Asked by vjoaquin at 12:29 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• Be polite when u see him at functions. Send an update email once or twice a month. That's what I do.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:33 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Family relationships are so difficult. I've been in a similar situation, and I can't say that I've found a real solution. I know what you mean about it being easier when you're not around him. For me, I've just started limiting my contact with the person in my life.Family is important, and it's difficult to totally cut them out of your life, although some people are able to do it. I personally have tried, but have been able to make a complete break. I think it's especially hard when the person is your parent. We only have one mom and dad, and if something were to happen to them how would we feel....and we won't be perfect parents, how would we feel if our children cut us out of their lives.

Still, we each deserve to be treated with respect. Good luck. *hugs*
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:36 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I have very simalar problems with my dad. I recently stopped email and phone calls. He never even tried to call me. Even though you have children now doesn't mean he cant still treat you as the child. I would never give up on my children. If they did not want to speak with me I would never give up on them. I just hope that he will reach out to me then me ALWAYS reaching out to him and then I am the one cring in the end. If it makes you happier not to talk to hin then dont until he makes it a conversation worth while.
    RedDahlia82

Answer by RedDahlia82 at 12:38 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• hugs

mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 12:42 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Its hard but remember he isn't your responsibility.
    Focus on your kids and spouse and yourself.

If he can't behave keep your distance and focus on your other friends and family.
    Be professional.
    Set your boundaries and stick to them so he doesn't drag you down, but its not necessary to burn any bridges.
    My favorite at family gatherings is to go for a walk. If there is a park, take the kids and get some head space. Or do things you know he won't, shopping maybe.
    MyMyOhMy

Answer by MyMyOhMy at 1:36 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My dad is the same way. I love him and want to be in his life but he is always trying to find a reason to say someone's talking about him and poor me. Its better for me to just love him from afar as a daughter and raise my kids then focus on the negative. My advice just keep on doing what ur doing, he will either come around or not. I know its real hard, cuz i feel ur pain, cuz i go thru it hardcore on the holidays but at least i got my mom. Live ur life and he will either come or go and sometimes u realize its better to save urself the drama then to force him or keep him in ur life on the front burner. good luck to you and hope u feel better.
    angelbritnee

Answer by angelbritnee at 9:11 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• tell him he is bringing you down, and he needs to get help for the sake of your relationship
    duwana

Answer by duwana at 4:51 PM on Apr. 25, 2011