Milk in a microwave.

Ok so i know it's not good to heat up breastmilk in a microwave because it kills essential nitrients, but what about regular whole milk? My son is ok with drinking milk straight from the fridge for his bottle but he is not a big fan. He would rather it heated slightly. I put it in a cup of hot water but it takes a while to warm. Just wondering if regular whole cows milk is different. Thanks!

CalebsMommy0220

Asked by CalebsMommy0220 at 12:51 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I pop it in for about 45 seconds, and it's fine..if it's a little warm then just add some water to it...my daughter is a little older, so no thumbs down...Im not taking any nutrients away from her. :) It's just to get her to relax so she goes to sleep.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:28 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Heating in a microwave doesn't effect nutrients or immunoglobins in human breast milk:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8889628

You do need to make sure the finaly temp is not to hot. Check the milk, not the bottle because the heating is quick enough the bottle won't reflect the temp inside.
    MyMyOhMy

Answer by MyMyOhMy at 1:19 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• He is 14 months and only has a bottle once per day (sometimes twice, but no more). Other times he uses a sippy. And warming formula in the microwave kills essential nutrients too, just not as much a breastmilk.
    CalebsMommy0220

Comment by CalebsMommy0220 (original poster) at 1:07 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Ok so you're weaning him off the bottle, good. Next, I still don't like cold milk and I pop it into microwave for 30 secs for a baby's bottle so it doesn't get too hot. I figure if i can warm up everything thing else way in the world of microwaves wouldn't I be able to warm up some milk. It does not zap like a laser and kill nutrients.
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 1:25 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Ah ok. Thanks guys. That makes things a lot easier.
    CalebsMommy0220

Comment by CalebsMommy0220 (original poster) at 1:47 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I normally only heat it up enough to take the "bite" out of straight-from-the-fridge milk so probably about 10-15 seconds will do. My son likes it like that.
    CalebsMommy0220

Comment by CalebsMommy0220 (original poster) at 1:50 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I agree with MyMyOhMy and SMITxsM2.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 3:33 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• how old is your son? i would always warm formula but never whole cows milk. I'd think, by the time a baby is on cows milk, he should no longer be on the bottle.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 1:04 AM on Apr. 25, 2011