Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Could you ever do this?

*I have called CPS but they are not doing anyting, said the case is closed, and I was there when they "looked' at T. They seriously just flashed a flashlight in his face (it was at night and we were all outside) the army is now stepping in. If you would like to follow along with what is happening I have a post started. Here



My DH and I have a couple who we losely term as friends. They have stolen from us etc, but we continue to interact with them because of the 4 month old.

He's had several bumps and cuts on his head, bruises, he has a ring of bald around his head from where he sits in his boppy all day. He is constantly exposed to second hand smoke, and last night when DH went over there they were having a party everyone was smoking inside and the smoke was so bad DH said he couldn't even breathe. A friend of our caught the mother of the child having sexual relations with another female, while T (the baby) was in the bed with them, wearing only a diaper. Last night DH saw a threesome going on, on the couch while T was in the room. They drink every weekend to the point of throwing up, mother is underage. They buy alcohol, games and game consoles before formula and then make others feel bad enough to buy T food. I had him from 4 pm till about 2 pm the next day and she said he should only eat 2 or 3 bottles.... he obviously at more that that, 4 oz bottles btw. The list goes on those are just what I can think of off the top of my head.

One of our friends has said she's going to complain about them to her army command I should mention the father of the child is army. We don't know if she has yet, but feel like maybe we should call CPS on them. The thing is the husband has lied and said that we are cousins (him and I) he told his command this too, meaning I'm the only "relative" to the child in the state, and from what I understand I would probably gain custody of the child in the event that it was taken away. I just had a miscarriage and someone I've talked to about this says that maybe I'm so gunho about talking to someone about T's living conditions because I want to "steal" him from them to replace our lose. That's not how I feel but I"m worried that's what others are going to think....

In this case, would you call CPS or wait until someone else took action, while being a safe place for the baby to go? A friend has tried talking to them about it and they flipped out about how they'll raise him however they want, so that didn't help.

Sorry it's so long, I'm just really torn about wanting to call and feeling like maybe I'm doing it for selfish reasons now because of what was said.


Asked by AimBre at 12:52 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Parenting Debate

Level 9 (343 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (31)
  • I'd call CPS. You're going to feel real bad one day when you do nothing and that baby winds up dead because of parental neglegence..

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

  • You want to wait to report abuse? I'm sorry but that's how children get murdered. Someone waits for someone else to make the call and then its too late.

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:55 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

  • cryingthrowing upangryNO your not doing it for selfish reasons Call that baby needs YOU! this is so sad that baby needs to come before anything else


    Answer by mamawilbur at 12:57 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

  • I would call CPS if I was you. You can remain anonymous that way they won't know who you are. They are neglecting that child. I wouldn't contact her husband because he would know you called them and the less they know the better off you will be. You are only thinking of the child. I'm surprised that the child isn't malnourished. Don't wait, it's going to get worse when he starts crawling.

    Answer by amessageofhope at 12:59 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

  • You'd have to prove you are related but that's beside the point.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Apr. 25, 2011


    Answer by mamawilbur at 12:59 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

  • First there is no way you could "steal" this child. You would need to prove a familial tie. Second, I think a call to CPS is in order. While what they are doing may not be enough to get the child out of this situation CPS would be able to open a file and watch them more closely in the future. It may be just what they need to get themselves in order.

    Please, if you believe this child is being neglected don't hesitiate to contact CPS. Don't let him turn into another sad clip on the evening news.

    Answer by Sparklecoon at 1:30 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

  • Oh my goodness this just breaks my heart. Call CPS, that poor child!!! See abput what you can do to get him but in the meantime that baby will be better off w/o them

    Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:04 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

  • Call CPS, and remain anonymous, however if you are called to take custody of the child make sure you tell them the truth, that you are not a relative. Don't let that child stay in danger.

    Answer by ohwrite at 1:05 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

  • Call CPS. This is child endangement. I don't think you are doing this as an alterior motive, I feel like you are genuinely concerned about the safety of this child and should be! Please call, before it is too late. They won't just come and take the baby. First, there will be an investigation into the accusations. Then, if CPS agrees that the child is in an unsafe environment, the child will be taken away. You need to realize also that since you are not blood related to the child, if other blood related relatives decide to take the child, there will be nothing you can do. But the child will no longer be in the hands of these careless parents that don't seem fit to be parents. Also, you may not even be eligible for addoption of this child. So don't get your hopes up about that. Just know that you are potentially saving the life of an innocent.

    Answer by KeLiStA at 11:43 AM on Apr. 25, 2011