How do I get the boogeyman out of my 2yos head??

A few weeks ago I was furious at my FIL when I heard him tell my 2yo to behave or else the boogeyman is going to get him. After a few visits to grandpas, SO finally told his dad to stop saying that. Well, it's too late. After turning off the lights to walk out of the bedroom, my son said, mommy, the boogeyman is coming. I asked him, where is he? He pointed to the ceiling. I said, no he's not. Which is how I respond everytime he brings up the boogeyman. I'm so upset. I work so hard at making my child feel safe that all I need is my FIL to f*$ it up! What can I do to correct this?

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 1:07 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• well when my son decided that monster where after i him i told him they lived in the clouds and couldn't get down, that's why it rains bc they are sad. he was two or three but it worked wonders. he doesn't bring it up anymore at all. you could get the ghost be gone spray or give him a night light though
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:11 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Oh the good ol boogeyman. My kids were told that too by my stupid step dad but I kept reassuring there was no boogeyman to hurt you and let them watch monsters inc and told them Elmo was was a monster like the boogeyman and if he was coming to get you, he was coming to come get you to play and laugh with him not hurt you because Elmo and mommy loves you.
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 1:13 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I have heard of people getting a spray bottle, and decorating it as Boggey Man spray, then spraying the room to keep the boggey men out. Sorry I don't have any other advice than that, but it's worth a try!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:14 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Can you agree with him and make it fun? "Yes he is, he's going to come in and tickle you!" Then tickle him and get him laughing about it. Maybe this way when he thinks of the boogeyman he'll remember being tickled and not worry about it as much?

I don't know. Maybe it's not such a hot idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Get him a dream catcher for his window. Let him know it keeps all the nightmares and monsters away.
    Sparklecoon

Answer by Sparklecoon at 1:23 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Well as I am a mother that just happens to own guns (no bashing they are put up and locked up and kids have been taught to stay away from any and all firearms) I told my kids that I have two guns one for ghost and one for monsters and that they don't dare come into our home because they are scared of mommy. It worked. Haven't had any issues since then.
    firepony

Answer by firepony at 1:39 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I just let them know stuff like that is just pretend and fil was being silly. If we need we can look around to make sure everything is safe, but mainly I just don't put energy into it. If I'm not worried, they know everything is OK.
    MyMyOhMy

Answer by MyMyOhMy at 2:05 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I would tell him that the only person the boogeyman is going to get is fil! When mine were little and scared of 'monsters' I bought a bottle of air freshener spray called "monster spray" and at bedtime we would look under the bed and spray it, look in the closet and spray and do a spray in the room. It worked as they never found monsters in their room!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:24 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• @mzLee-Lol! Good one! I'll tell him that in front of FIL!!
    Vero0724

Comment by Vero0724 (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Apr. 25, 2011