Why are people always trying to move in with my husband and I?

Last Monday, a lady I met at a friends house and her mother, and her son tried to move in. They invited themselves to stay at our house. It took us 4 days to make them leave. This is the 4th time, someone we didn't really know has tried to move in with us. We have a 3 bedroom house, it's not like we have a huge house. Do we have hotel written on our foreheads?

sweetangie79

Asked by sweetangie79 at 1:11 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Home & Garden

• next time tell them your landlord doesn't allow anyone to live there that isn't related or married, closely related.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:24 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I would be careful letting anyone stay for any length of time. Legally, in some states, they can say they live there (even if it is overnight) and you would legally have to give them 30 day notice to get out. I would check the laws where you live.
    sondamom0828

Answer by sondamom0828 at 1:24 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Well that's really... really awkward!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:03 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Were you wearing your "I am a sucker" t-shirt at the time? You should probably donate that to a charity. I think you need to carefully analyze the conversation you had and figure out if you gave them an opening for them to convince you to let them stay at your house. Then you need to learn to be on guard for this sort of thing, since it's happened to you before.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:23 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• ugh i can't stand that, i only let family stay the night at my place. there's no way in you know what someone is living with me. i hate sharing my space with people and hate getting taken advantage of.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:13 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Wow, that's odd, I would just tell people NO from the start. Don't let people you don't know well stay with you. Sometimes it's hard because you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but remember they are the ones being rude...and presumptuous to invite themselves to stay with you.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:15 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• The lied and said they were homeless. They were grose.
    sweetangie79

Comment by sweetangie79 (original poster) at 1:16 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Learn to say no and mean it.
    MyMyOhMy

Answer by MyMyOhMy at 2:01 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I don't let random people stay the night...
    onecuteladybug2

Answer by onecuteladybug2 at 2:12 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Have the address of a homeless shelter with you and when someone asks to stay with you because they are homeless then give them the address and tell them that is where they need to go. Do not give out information to people you don't know about how you live, the size of your home etc. Don't be that friendly.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 7:34 AM on Apr. 25, 2011