Been having very regular contractions for 25 hrs now!! how long can this last?

so i have been having regular contractions for 25 hrs now. very uncomfortable, sometimes painful. they will not go away no matter what i do. ive tried walking, taking a warm bath, laying down, sitting up, drinking tons of water, nothing stops them! needless to say i was pretty sure this MUST be something so i went to the hospital. i had effaced from 40% to 70% but had no change to my cervix. still at a 2. they sent me home and was sure theyd either stop or itd turn into the real thing. i finally manged to sleep for about 3 hours (the pain died down although the contractions didnt). they basically told me not to come back until the contractions were unbearable like having me in tears (then id know it was real). my questions is has anyone else experienced this?? what happened? the hospital said they were regular it was just the intensity wasnt enough. but they were making some cervical changes. ive been having BH contractions prior to all this (irregular but none too painful) i have lost my mucous plug about a week ago but have yet to have a bloody show.

xunlucxyx0

Asked by xunlucxyx0 at 1:24 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It happend to me, and Ill tell u what, I was very suprised (not in a good way) when the real thing started. That pain your feeling....yeah, its nothing. Lol
    When you get to the point where u can't do anything besides focus on the pain, (including breathing) your truly in labor :)
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 1:58 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It can last for quite a while (sorry to be the bearer of bad news). I'm assuming you're far enough along that baby should be ready to come out. I would suggest going for walks frequently to try and help get things going. Try not to overdo it of course, you will need energy once labor really sets in. Keep drinking lots of water too. If they're really just braxton hicks, keeping well hydrated will make them go away (I don't really think you're having BH contractions though). Good luck. And just remember, it won't last forever, and eventually you'll have a cute little baby to snuggle!
    Abilyn

Answer by Abilyn at 12:32 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• A week or more. I contracted every 5 minutes, 60-90 second contractions, 24 hours a day, for over a week - from 38 weeks 6 days til 40 weeks 1 day. Made absolutely no progress - didn't even efface. Then that last day they just stopped. I called my doc, went in for a non-stress test, baby was perfectly fine, I had dilated 1cm from the day before, but she gave me just a tiny bit of pitocin and he was born 3 hours later. But yeah, you can contract like that for some time unfortunately.
    Anonymous