I haven't had a period in over two years, should I be worried?

In 2009 my period became extremely erratic, I put it down to stress since I was getting ready to graduate college, while working, and being a mother and wife. Then my mother passed away and it stopped all together. My doctor didn't seemed worried so I didn't. The other day a co-worker mentioned she was having tests run because she hadn't had her period in six months. I still have't had a period. Should I be doing something? Saying anything? I am 36, overweight (gained weight like crazy since my mom passed) and on anti-depressants. I would like to have another child, once I am off the meds and I am finally in a place where that could happen. So any suggestions? Oh yeah, my doctor knows my period hasn't resumed and my pap smear is current. Sorry if its too much info!

MokaMommy

Asked by MokaMommy at 1:51 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Health

• stress and weight can do that...i would ask for an ultrasound to check out ur endo lining an for some BC to regulate ur cycle
    allycally

Answer by allycally at 2:01 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Do you think you possibly have PCOS?
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 2:05 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I haven't a clue. I don't know what that is. I will google it and mention it to my doctor.
    MokaMommy

Comment by MokaMommy (original poster) at 2:07 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Oh boy, this good be writing this question! I gained almost 50 lbs since Oct 2nd 2010 thats when my mom passed away. So I can understand what u r going thru. But if your doc seems to ok with it and yoru pap hasn't shown anything, then I wouldn't worry. I am on a mood stabilizer w/anti-depressant. I know paxil, celexa and zoloft are infamous for doing that to people. If u do get prego, stop paxil, it has showning up with a 60% of some kinda birth defects. But i think if u think there is something, by all means get a test done, have your doc do a littler more in depth test. Go with your instinct.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:07 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• **could be me writing this question
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:08 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I assume you're not breastfeeding? I didn't get my period for over two years after my youngest daughter was born, but she was still nursing quite a lot. If you're hoping to get pregnant again, it might be a good idea to lose some weight even if that's not the cause; It might right itself. But yeah, tell your doctor you're interested in eventually having another child, and he might be willing to run some more tests.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 2:16 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• How old r u?? You should go to a doctor sweety not being funny
    DandIebst

Answer by DandIebst at 2:18 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I am not nursing, and I agree with the losing weight part although that is another post entirely since I am having a difficult time with that as well. Oh and I am 36.
    MokaMommy

Comment by MokaMommy (original poster) at 2:20 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Ask your Dr to check for PCOS.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 3:24 AM on Apr. 25, 2011