What do you think when you see people saying grace before a meal at a restaurant?

adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 1:52 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• This - if they're not, there's no reason anyone would notice them doing it in the first place.

OK- so when people comment about a Mother breast feeding in public or noticing what others buy with food stamps then is the BF Mother or the shopping Mother looking for attention- otherwise, how would anyone notice them?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:14 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I think... "good for them that they are not ashamed of their beliefs".

What should I be thinking?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:55 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I don't think anything of it. In fact, my family and I say grace at restaurants before meals. We aren't loud or anyone's faces about it or anything, but it's something that is important to us, so we do it. Just like others have the right to not do it if they don't want to :-)

I can't honestly say that it's ever occurred to me that any of the other diners would be noticing or caring that we were saying a prayer before our meal, or that honestly, I have ever paid that much attention to the other diners to notice if they were praying or not.

Hope that makes sense :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:55 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• If I see a family praying in a restaurant I think that family is being true to their religious beliefs and doing what they normally do before a meal-- give thanks and pray.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:03 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I do it all the time so I haven't really thought anything about it. If someone snickers or stares I'm too busy praying to notice!
    MokaMommy

Answer by MokaMommy at 2:15 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• If others stare or giggle, it's because they are uncomfortable with your display of your beliefs. But it's their problem, not yours. I respect a person who is confident to show their true colours in public. It shows a strong sense of commitment and that is to be admired.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 2:23 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I wonder how many people would stare and snicker at someone raising their hands in thanks to the sun and earth for their meal.

anyway, I don't think anything of it....I've always seen it done in a quiet, respectful manner. I find it very nice that they do it. I've only seen one"display" of boastfullness instead of thankfulness in public in regards to this.
    It was a group of people and when they sat down they burst out with a "chant" or song of some sort, and it was very loud. I found it rather annoying and I didn't see any grace within it.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:16 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• i'm proud that there not afraid to show there beliefs in public
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 1:58 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• op, I'm sorry you have experienced that, but I wouldn't let it stop you if I were you. There are lots of things that people do that cause someone or another to stare or giggle, so you shouldn't stop living your life or doing what you want to do because of it, kwim?

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:16 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I think nothing of it-
    teenagers snicker at just about everything and everyone- that is when they are not completely engrossed in their texting (can you tell I am raising 2 right now- UGH!)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 7:38 AM on Apr. 25, 2011