I really need help PLEASE!

I'm really having supply problems with my breast feeding and need to know what to do to get It up. I have talked to a LC I have taken fenugreek, blessed thistle, brewers yeast,marshmallow, nattle, fennel, mothers milk tea. More milk plus, domperidone, and pumping every hour and I can't get more then 2 oz and my son is almost 2 monthsand wanting to eat 5oz PLEASE HELP what do I do!

mommy2bee12-27

Asked by mommy2bee12-27 at 2:49 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Drink lots of water and nurse constantly. It's a nuisance, but that's what works for most of us
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 2:54 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• maybe start by relaxing generally in your life ( stress can reduce milk production), and eat healthy foods, more teas and more nursing.
    kokomaman

Answer by kokomaman at 4:46 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• continue trying but u might have to switch to formula
    treyvansmommy

Answer by treyvansmommy at 4:46 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• try what the other ladies said but sometimes some can't breastfeed because they do not produce enough, i know it sucks because its something you wanted to do for your baby, maybe you can still breastfeed but have to supplement formula as well so he is getting enough to eat. Good luck.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:14 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• If you put him to the breast more, you will make more.

Pumping isn't nearly effective as baby. Hardly anyone can get milk out with a pump. There are mom's that can nurse triplets, yet, cannot pump as much as you.

If you have nursed him for 2 months, you have plenty milk.

Drink water, relax, put baby to breast anytime he even makes a peep and do not pull him away...wait for him to pull away, let him finish one whole side and then go to the other only if he wants more, pump after you feed him.

Spend one day in bed with both of you shirtless and nurse him nonstop, it will help tremendously.

Just because you can't pump a lot doesn't automatically mean you need formula.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:05 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Well its not how I know what I'm producing bu what I'm pumping I know from going to the LC they weigh him before and after I feed him and he only transfers about 2 oz. But I have done the skin to skin I drink 20oz of water every hour so I'm good on that I have tried drinking a beer and still no changes!
    mommy2bee12-27

Comment by mommy2bee12-27 (original poster) at 10:55 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Do you feed him often? He may only need 2oz at a time, but, to eat every 30 minutes. If he is gaining weight consistently, wetting 8 diapers a day? The only other thing I know is to feed him nonstop.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:54 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• DO NOT go by how much you can pump out! I have nursed three babies until they were at least one year old each and was NEVER able to pump out more than 2-3 oz at a time. Instead of pumping, put your baby to the breast every single time he wants to eat, day and night. That alone should increase your supply.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:07 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Two ounce sis normal output... and five ounces is too big a bottle. Four is tops; five is like me eating two Big Macs. I CAN... but *should* I?

Put him to breast, LEAVE him there as long as he wants to be there and as often as he wants to be there. The system IS working... you're just expecting it to work in a way it's not designed to work. Sort of like expecting that if you jump out the window and flap your arms you will fly. **grin**

Galactagogues work when there's a real supply issue... but from what you write, there actually isn't; it's an expectations issue. You're doing MUCH better than you think you are!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2011