Should the corporate tax rate be eliminated?

Even Sweden has a lower corporate tax rate than the US. The corporate tax rate doesn't just simply come out of the profits of the company, they are passed along to the consumer, in higher prices or offset by lower wages,restructuring or layoffs. The workers are then compensated by UEI, welfare programs so that the taxes paid in are lost in revenue being used for these purposes. If the tax rate were eliminated, tax revenue in the long run would go up because more companies would keep jobs here or transfer them to the US.

Or is the class warfare game the democrats like to play, while our jobs continue to go over seas, more productive?

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 4:14 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think they should definitely be lowered. The US is losing hundreds of thousands of job and money because companies are moving their headquarters to countries with a lower tax rate to save money. If the US lowered their rates than these companies might stay here or return here.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:39 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Wow. Great choices to choose from. The "right" one, or that other POV.

If the corporate tax rates were actually altered, then their tax breaks should also be altered. And I don't know that I believe their "tax savings" would actually be passed onto the consumer. Nor do I believe it would necessarily bring jobs back to the US. If a company makes 5% more by staying overseas with its workforce, why would it come back here, and pay that 5% more in wages and benefits for employees here, employees who may have more vocal ideas about rights, working conditions, hours worked, etc?

I don't think lowering the corporate tax rate would be the Great Job Creator that so many feel it could be.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 10:09 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• here, let me ask the question before she answers.
    Janet,
    Why do you care??
    Ok, now that's out of the way, lemmee answer the question.
    No, I just think it should be competitve with countries that are somewhat economically equal to us.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:24 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• No, but it should be lowered
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:21 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• and ours slides between 0-35%

The rate doesn't matter, only the ACTUAL DOLLARS PAID count-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:05 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Sweden is lower than ours in number but theirs is a solid number and ours slides between 0-35%. Theirs is a solid 26.3 across the board. That is a whole heck of a lot more money coming in. That's like comparing countries and weather.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 7:51 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Who is going to pay the TAXES??

Big corps don't pay and when they do its barely any.....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:00 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Corp tax is 12 percenT of revenue. Indiv tax rates would still apply and revenue would jump
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 10:08 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I think they should be lowered...but I also think ALL of them should be paying their fair share. It isn't right for the family owned corp..which is basically a mom & pop operation to foot the bill for giants like GE. Close the loopholes, end the credits and allow legitimate business expenses. Offer tax savings to companies employing US workers on US soil.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:20 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• http://www.politicususa.com/en/undocumented-workers-pay-more-taxes-than-major-u-s-corporations

interesting about how much undocumented workers pay vs. corporations

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2011