How can I make my DH understand that it's dangerous???

So, I bought my DH a new Harley. It's all he has ever asked for and he loves it. Riding it is a huge stress reliever for him, but last night he was arrested for driving reckless on it. Which means he was probably going WAY over the speed limit. AND he wasn't wearing a helmet. When the police officer called to tell me he was going to be taken to jail I thought he was going to tell me he had been in an accident. I have never been more terrified in my entire life. I have no problem with the motorcycle, in fact I even like riding on it. But how can I make him see that he acts stupid on it and that the way he drives is EXTREMELY dangerous???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Relationships

• thats just common sense. he was being ignorant and thnking that nothing bad can happen to him. hopefully that was a wake up call for him
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:07 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I think getting bailed out of jail would be a great deterrant. Check out Gary Busey's motorcycle accident and Lauren Hutton's motorcycle accident online and show him the photos....
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 11:10 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My SO loves bikes too and he had one and got in an accident which was not his fault but.... it still scares me because he does drive really fast and reckless!! but maybe getting arrested will give your husband a wake up call and just talk to him and tell him your glad he loves the bike but that you want him to enjoy himself but be safe so he can enjoy it for years to come!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 11:17 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My DH has a motorcycle as well. Fortunately, he's not reckless and when he does get that itch, I remind him that I love him and him being here with me, whole, is more important than having a crippled husband or a fat insurance check. I remind him he has a family to think about and it's not just him anymore.
    Some people are such adrenaline junkies that they can see past themselves to see how they are hurting the ones around them. Because he is an adult that makes his own decisions, I think all you can do is lovingly tell him that he needs to be a responsible husband and father. He can still have fun without being reckless.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 11:23 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I do not know what I would do. Maybe tell him that the bike will be sold if he does this again? Aside from the very expensive legal ramifications, he cold lose his license, your insurance rates will increase and he could have killed himself.

I am sorry that you are having to deal with this.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 12:01 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• He knows it's dangerous. That is why he does it. He may be an adrenaline junkie and get off on dangerous behavior. Nothing you can say will make him behave and be a good boy. He likes what he likes and will continue to do it. Just hope he doesn't kill himself doing it. Buy lots of insurance though just in case.
    Anonymous