What are some things I should know about Huskies?

I want to get a Husky puppy or 2 and was wondering what I should know about their specific needs & personality traits.

*edit: I'm not a dog person but my husband is very experienced with dogs & their training*

xixCandyxix

Asked by xixCandyxix at 6:47 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Pets

• I have friens who have a husky and he is a great dog, good with the kids and very calm. I do know that they can have problems with their eyes. Because of their eye color they can go blind.

You can read more about them here..http://www.akc.org/breeds/siberian_husky/index.cfm

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:36 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Our huskies are very hyper, active dogs. They need LOTS of exercise or they can get bored and become destructive. Also, they have a very high prey drive and most do not get along with cats- they tend to eat them. They love to play, though, and are very sweet dogs for the most part.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:28 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Huskies are not for people who have no experience with dogs. They are great dogs but they are very active dogs, escape artists, stubborn. They can have a high prey drive but if they are socialized well and raised with cats they are usually fine with them.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:37 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I have well my parents have 2. They need lots of exercise and dont be surprised if they would rather be outside than inside. They are fun and loving dogs. They can be protective over their food bowls. They are honestly not hard to train as long as you do it at a young age. They can have issues with their vision just like someone else said bc of their eye colors. Bot of ours has crystal blue eyes and the older one has had a sense of cateracts for about 3 years now. They are great with kids, but if the kids are small and they are extremely hyper they can scare the little kids. I love them. They shed horribly in the spring/summer. You can look outside and think it snowed outside bc of their shedding so brushin them is a MUST!!! Good luck they are wonderful dogs
    annabelle092810

Answer by annabelle092810 at 10:04 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I do have to say.....All of the posts are Right ON target yall are so smart about these gentle babies but...I want to add one......HUSKEYS HATE HOT WEATHER!!! We have a pool(little kiddie plastic pool) in Shys yard durring the summer...yes u have to clean it yes u have to refill it every few days but they love it as they love snow etc. I also have a tarp like thing hangin over half of her yard(where he House is) that gives her shade. They also eat a whole lot more when its cold so remember that. And if you do not brush out their undercoats they llook like the are losing Fur(lookin like mange lol) halfway thru the spring.
    I am a mommy to 4huskys.....3 are special needs (blind, diabatic, and deaf due to abuse and neglat with 2 of them) and 1 is a retired breeder she had beautiful pups 4litters all together .....and i retired her so she could enjoy the rest of her years lol. Hope i heped!!
    msmamakatie

Answer by msmamakatie at 11:06 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• They are awesome, intelligent breeds. Get them as puppies, and do not slack on training !!!! If they become adults without strict and proper training, they will be uncontrollable....I adore the breed, have fun!!!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 11:27 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Everything previously written seems spot on but I don't think anyone has effectively described the massive amounts of fur they shed in the spring. They need a thorough full body brushing AT LEAST once a week. You can get enough fur off of two dogs to stuff a mattress or two by the end of the season. My aunt has two of them and the shed so badly that she takes them outside once a week, puts them on the grooming table and blows the undercoat out with a shop vac. If you don't have time for such a massive grooming requirement you can keep the dog clipped short in warmer weather. Comfortable for the dog, no hours of brushing for you.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 12:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I know this breed well. They are one of the more challenging breeds for the average dog owner to have, especially first time pet owners. People are attracted to them because they are beautiful. They are also very instinctual and primitive...I mean like a wolf. Most huskies need strong boundaries, a lot of training and firm handling. Passive does not work here, and these dogs can become aggressive quickly, especially the males. They are very hard to house train and they do not like to come when called. Many get out of yards and run off. They have a strong independent streak which makes them less likely to listen to obedience and follow your directions. Many kill small animals. They are smart dogs and can be trained very well, but not very easily. You need to start training day one with your husky puppy. If you are dedicated, they can be wonderful, but most people do not have the patience or backbone for this breed.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:30 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Definitely do your research. They have some health issues they are prone to. Some howl, dig, and chew. But they are known to be friendly and good with children. Find out more about those and their personalities here:
    http://www.trupanionpetinsurance.com/BreedGuide/Dog/Siberian-Husky
    familyandfur

Answer by familyandfur at 2:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I question mamastuarts advice about clipping them. I have been advised that huskies who are shaved have a chance of not regrowing their hair. Several groomers informed me of that when I tried to get our husky shaved. Otherwise it's like everyone said. Hyper, can be destructive chewers if not trained, incredible escape artists, but loving and gentle.
    furbabymum

Answer by furbabymum at 5:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2011