Is Easter bigger than Christmas?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 6:55 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Who cares? To some maybe it is. As far as commercialization of the holiday? I'd say they are equal.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:17 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Retailers it seems are trying to make any and EVERY Holiday a Big deal in order to get us to spend spend spend.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:54 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• In significance? Yes. In celebration? No. Easter is the most important date n the liturgical year.

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:00 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Christmas is definitely more celebrated, but for Christians Easter is the holiday that "counts".

Almost everyone can agree that Jesus of Nazereth lived (born on December 25th? I don't think so). And most can agree he died by crucifixion. That he rose from

Believing Jesus is a good man and worthy to be emulated isn't enough. Believing he was put to death isn't enough. Even believing in the deity of Christ, while not believing in the resurrection is not enough.

And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied. - 1 Corinthians 15:17,19

Jesus was born, took all of mankind's sin upon himself he died on the cross; on the third day He rose again. Christmas is important - Christ being born is important - but it is the death and resurrection of Christ that make Easter "BIGGER" than Christmas.

KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 8:36 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Not to me. I love the "feel" of the Christmas holiday. Honestly, though, any holiday that requires me to spend time with my MIL flat out sucks so I enjoy the Christmas season, not the day so much. This year we were lucky enough to stay home - it's been the first Easter without the inlaws in 16 years. Even though the kids are older (11 and 16) they still hid eggs all over the house (we had terrible storms yesterday) and found them and broke out the water color sets and painted eggs. They loved being able to enjoy the holiday at home (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:27 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I think it depends on who you're asking. For many, yes, because his death on the cross and believed resurrection and atonement are the whole key to the faith, and thus his birth is so important just because of what his life and death will mean, if you get what I'm saying. For others, who may not put so much emphasis on the crucifixion/atonement aspect, the birth may be more important, as it symbolizes the beginning of his life and works. For others, still, they may be equal in value, depending on how they perceive it...

For me, though, nothing beats that Christmas spirit and feeling, even taking the religious aspect out of it. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I think to those who take their faith seriously Easter is probably a tad bigger simply cuz the whole key to Christianity is Christs sacrifice and atonement and resurrection.

His birth is important but the end result of his life is the key to the beliefs when boiled all down so I know many and have seen many who take Easter more seriously.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• No, not that I know of. Kids get an entire week off for Christmas, for Easter they get ONE DAY. The entire town decorates for Christmas, No one decorates for Easter. Christmas gets a parade, Easter doesn't...

So, no, not around here. Easter isn't really a deal at all. Christmas is WAY overdone...
    In my house, neither is a big deal.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:07 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• All celebrations are important to humans. Life is hard and full of work that has to be done and we like to party after it's all done. If the Roman empire hadn't been unable to convince pagan people to give up their celebrations, we wouldn't have Christmas or Easter or All Hallow's Eve. They integrated pagan holidays into christianity to get the pagans to convert. Because we just WOULDN'T give up what we enjoyed so much. We have even created celebrations that aren't religious in nature. Look at the Fourth of July and fireworks. Humans like to celebrate our milestones, whether it's the pretend birthday of a christian deity or the birthday of our nation itself. And even in paganism, birth is important. But rebirth is even MORE important.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:04 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I really don't think so....Christmas is far more commercialized, etc. Easter, not so much. Heck I think Superbowl Sunday is bigger than Easter and I don't give a hoot about a bunch of overpaid athletes chasing each other over a pig skin.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:30 PM on Apr. 25, 2011