How do I tell/ask my neighbor to move her trash?

Our houses are very close together and I work from home. My office is located right next to her driveway. She stores her trash at the end of her driveway, which is right outside my window. We have really never become friends. We say hi on occassion and she did call the police on us a couple of times a few years ago, for being too loud after 11 pm. Im not sure how to approach her on this one. She can be nice but she is also not willing to go out of her way either. Should I knock on her door or just leave a polite note explaining the situation?

darter

Asked by darter at 6:57 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• Either will work. Be prepared for her to not do anything though. Some people are just ignorant that way. You might also want to check your city or town's codes as storing trash cans where they can be seen from the street may be a no no in your area.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:54 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Wow- it would suck to have a bunch of smelly trash, in a can or not, right outside your office! Is that what you see when you look out the window? Yuck. I would ask her nicely if she could find a different place for her trash and only bring it down on trash days or something. We have a code here in our town that the trash cans can only be near the end of the driveway if it's trash day.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:26 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• You can ask her, but really don't have a right to tell her to move her trash as long as it's on her property and not breaking any city codes. We have a couple of famillies who never move their dumpsters from the curb and another that keeps theirs in the front yard. We put ours by the side of the house but not in the back yard (since the new dumpsters are wider than our privacy fence gate). I would explain the situation and ask her if she could put the trash somewhere else. If she doesn't, learn to work with the window shut.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:22 AM on Apr. 25, 2011