Coffee and pregnancy...mix well?

i'm almost positive i'm pregnant....will be 2wks in a couple of days or so. haven't taken the test yet. i never liked coffee, so i never drank it while pregnant with my 2 kids...however they have drawn me to drinking coffee lol.

anyway, i did drink soda while pregnant with them, i never made a big deal about it...but i'm not sure about coffee...is there more or less caffiene in it than soda? does it even matter? lol i'm at a loss about this topic

thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I think when you're pregnant doctors recommend trying to really limit your caffiene intake. Not sure which one has more caffiene though...probably depends on the type of soda.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 7:28 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Not sure about the difference in caffeine between soda and coffee but coffee is the "healthier" alternative, soda has too much other junk in it.

Check w/your doc but I did have 1 cup of regular coffee (not decaf, decaf is chemically modified) each day during each of my pregnancies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Coffee dosnt have all the sugar that soda does. Less than 3 cups a day of coffee I would think your fine.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:42 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I would have limited my coffee to one cup a day except my body had other plans. It gave me such terrible indigestion that I had to cut it out completely. Have you thought about switching to orange juice? If you want carbonation, mix the juice (can be any type) with low-sodium soda water for a healthier alternative.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 7:48 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Not sure. I'm not a coffee drinker usually but I CRAVED it this last pregnancy. And milkshakes too.
    xixCandyxix

Answer by xixCandyxix at 8:36 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Coffee mixed well with both my pregnancies :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:59 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Home brewed coffee- perfectly fine in moderation. In fact, if it weren't for coffee, I'd never get all my calcium intake because coffee is the only thing that makes milk bearable to me. When pregnant, I mix half a cup of coffee with half a cup of milk. The milk in there makes my coffee guilt free because I'm getting something GOOD.
    Avoid coffee from coffee houses, since it has WAY more caffeine than home brewed. If Starbucks is your daily coffee stop, you can mix half regular and half decaf, or go all decaf.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 11:01 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My doctor said 1 cup of coffee a day is fine, but I haven't drank any throughout this pregnancy yet. But I plan to drink a caramel frappacino with extra caramel on my birthday this weekend!
    SaraR216

Answer by SaraR216 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 25, 2011