What are some resurrection stories in other beliefs?

I am just curious. I am doing a bit of research for my book and wanted to know what-if any-are some other stories about someone being resurrected and so on.

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 7:49 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• They're all a little different because each myth has cultural context and many myths pull from older myths in their regions. I believe the Osiris/Isis/Horus myth and Mithras are probably the most similar to the Jesus myth.

At the bottom of this link is a list of some of the birth-life-death deities: Life-Death-Birth. Life, death, and birth are common motifs or archetypes throughout the world, and appear in myths in many different forms. Carl Jung discusses archetypes a lot in his works.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:10 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• so, I get voted down because I'm not christian, nor do I live in a christan area? What's wrong with you people?

No you're being voted down for calling the OP a bitch because YOU couldn't understand a simple question, which makes you seem like a troll.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• The question is pretty straight forward she asked about "OTHER" beliefs. As we all know(or should)the biggest known resurrection story is in Christianity so of course she doesnt mean that one.

Personally the only one I know right off the top is Egyptian...Horus, I believe that story would be considered resurrection(but I could be wrong).
    Wish I had a link for ya...
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:48 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Hindus and Sikhs really do not have a resurrection story.

Hindus believe in the trinity of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. It is believed that MANY incarnations/avatars of them have walked this earth in the form of man. Also, many have walked the earth as prophets of the One Universal Creator (Brahma, God, Allah, WaheGuru, Jehovah..whatever name one wishes to use). However, they do not believe that one died and resurrected.  There is the belief in reincarnation, and I guess some could consider that a form of resurrection. But then it must be taken into consideration that the belief is that ALL reincarnate, not just those of the divine.

Continued below with Sikhs.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:35 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Sikhs believe in THE One Universal Creator. That all who believe, all who worship, all religions, all lead back to/are belief in THE One Universal Creator (whether one chooses to use God, Allah, Brahma, Jehovah, etc. as the name of reference). They do not believe that the Universal Creator has ever walked the earth in the form of man. They DO believe in the prophets (acknowledge, revere and respect them all as well. The Guru Granth Sahib is the only holy texts/book that acknowledges the prophets of other religions by name and reveres them for who/what they were). However, they do not believe that there has been an avatar/incarnation of the Creator who has ever lived as a human being. So, they do not have a resurrection tale either. Like Hindus, they also believe in reincarnation, and one could choose to view reincarnation as a form of resurrection if they wanted.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Oh no this is not Christian related at all. I can't remember but I know there are other stories of someone being brought back to life in a sense
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 8:04 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:15 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Thanks
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 8:18 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Good lord..read the question. I am simply asking if there are any other resurrection stories obviously besides the Christian belief.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 8:37 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I didn't vote you down but then again I also didn't call you out like that or call you names but that is ok. To each their own. I take being a bitch a compliment
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Apr. 25, 2011