At what age can my autistic child walk to the bus by himself in the morning?

The bus picks him up infront of my gate and I was wondering when will he be able to walk to the bus so I wont have to wake up so early anymore. Hes 5 yrs old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There is no magic age. All children, even those who do not have Autism, progress at their own pace.

And don't you get up to make him breakfast and say good-bye anyways? He's FIVE.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 8:48 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I would think you still have to get up early to get him ready. Feed him. I dont know about walking to the bus but i would say that the best way to find out it to let him try small trips at a time and see how he does. but no matter what I would be watching out the window because in the world we live in autistic or not it is not safe for small kids to be out alone for long periods of time.
    alligurl186

Answer by alligurl186 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I would start in small increments! Try walking him ALMOST all of the way for a week, and then watch to see that he stays out of trouble and gets on the bus by himself when it comes. Then walk him halfway and stand back for a week. Then just stand on your front stoop for a week and watch him go. Will you still be able to see him from your house? I would mostly be worried because if the bus is late, or if someone bothers him, etc, he might not know how to handle it on his own... ANY 5-year-old might not, whether or not they have autism!
    NickiKidsOnGo

Answer by NickiKidsOnGo at 12:29 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Really? So you don't have to wake up so early? What the hell?!
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 6:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• dont you make sure his teeth and hair are brushed and that hes properly dressed.i personly would not let my 5 year old or even 10 y old go by there self.you never know nowadays,
    twolilgirls712

Answer by twolilgirls712 at 7:34 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My son is 13 and started jr hight his year. It's the first year I haven't waited at the bus stop with him. I still get up any where and make sure he has everything and goes out on time. I still wait with my 11 yr old 5th grader.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 7:46 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• The fact that he has autism has NOTHING to do with it. Each child is different and so is each area etc. but at 5 -- regardless of disabilty or not... even super giftedness... you'd still have to get up and walk him out... not to mention breakfast, dressing, teeth etc.

This is a silly question.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:47 PM on Apr. 25, 2011