My son had a really smooth 2nd grade school year, but this year it’s constant ciaos.

It’s awful, but I don’t know if it’s my kid or if it’s his teacher. My son was playing with a classmate (young lady) during gym. It seems they weren’t being supervised and the young lady ended up crying in the end. When the young ladies parents asked what happened, staff had no explanation , NO one saw what happened. In the end my son ended up suspended in school for two days. I agree my son needs to be held accountable, but so do the school staff who didn’t do their job. The principal then decided to tell me that my son is a bully. WOW! I mean this is the 1st time he’s gotten in trouble. Now he wants to move my son from his classroom to another. I said, “NO.” Now his home-room teacher is making 2 & 3 journal entries on a daily basis for frivolous things such as talking in the lunch room, or leaving a library book in class. Is it me or this ridiculous?

ConcernedMom050

Asked by ConcernedMom050 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• cont..Even good kids feel their parents frustration and then think they have parent permission to unleash their frustration (inappropriately) on the staff b/c they won't get in trouble at home. So for him just say you are working on a plan with the school and keep it neutral. 6) If your son has ADHD or any other diagnosis then he is entitled to some specific plans that keep him in his current placement (classroom setting). You do have a lot more rights and power than what you think you do. PM me anytime.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:11 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• That is absolutely ridiculous, ugh. I'd question them about the incident as well. Ask them what happened...without an answer...how can they label your child as a bully? This is based solely on their opinions...not on observations. I'd schedule a meeting with the teacher and principal and set things straight.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• It sounds a little odd to me. And I worked at schools. Okay, just a suggestion. 1.) Take the incident seriously as a learning opportunity for your son to know that being a bully is not accepted. Even schedule a couple of sessions with a private therapist if you can. This shows the school that you are commited to not having your son grow to be a bully. 2) In writing (and keep a copy) put concerns you have about things that are not a big deal: leaving a book in a class, talking during lunch...note that while these are responsibilities he has to learn you also understand all children do these to some extent. Ask in the letter (in a polite non pissy way, I'd have to work hard at that)
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• cont..if they have concerns that his forgetfullness or blurting things out of turn, ect...is a behavioral concern of something more significant. Ask them to please respond by the end of the week in writing. 3) Send a copy of your letter to your school district office with an attatchment saying that you have concerns about the school response to some very typical behaviors of children. Say you are hoping to handle this appropriately with the staff at school but just wanted them to be aware. I'll bet your ass they get a phone call at the minimum. 4)If possible volunteer some time in the school to be a presence and if you have friends who have children there - all the better. Ask them to volunteer and document their independent observations. 5) Don't bad mounth the school in front of your child out of frustration.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:09 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i don't understand why/how he was suspended if no one knew what happened?
    imamom

Answer by imamom at 8:38 PM on Dec. 27, 2008