Moms out there with older babies who still wont sleep through the night what do you do. I have a eight month old who still wakes up. She only sleeps through the night about once or twice a week. The only way to get her back to sleep is a bottle and i know that has to stop she is old enough not to need one in the middle of the night. Any help would be great!

sophiasmommy02

Asked by sophiasmommy02 at 11:27 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son is 14 months and he still doesnt sleep all through the night. i too did the bottle in the middle of the night thing bc that was the only thing that would get him back to sleep. I stopped that when he was abt 6 months though. If you give your child a bottle through the night it rly wnt help, it only hurts bc they are just going to keep waking up wanting that bottle. Im in college now and i am so tired getting up and down in the middle of the night with my son. I eventually started doing something that i never wanted to by putting him in the bed with me in the middle of the night wen he wakes up. He sleeps way better!!! i know this doesnt help much but i wanted you to know i was going through the same thing and my son is 14 months. A cousin of mine told me that her son didnt sleep all through the night untill he was 2 years old. She said once he reached 2 he slept all through the night in his toddler bed.
    sarajanae27

Answer by sarajanae27 at 12:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My daughter finally started sleeping thru the night at 10 1/2 months old. we met every night at 3 am for a bottle. She drank 4-8 oz. and went right back, she had been doing that since she was 2 months old. Nothing i did could break her of the habit. it didnt matter if she ate at 4 pm or 7 pm, she was down by 7:30 and up at 3. Now she is up til 8 and sleeps til 7, she just turned one. I just rode it out. good luck
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 12:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My DD did not sleep through the night ONCE before she was 8 mo. Until 12 months she didn't sleep through the night consistently. You have to be patient, they'll sleep when they're ready to sleep.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 1:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My daughter was up two or three times a night until she was 10 months old...that is when me and my husband couldn't keep doing it. So we let her cry it out for two nights and by the 3rd she slept through. She has been sleeping through since then too. When she wakes up and is crying, leave her. I f she is crying uncontrollably definitely go comfort her but don't give in with a bottle or rocking her to sleep. Calm her down and leave the room.

Anonymous

• I guess you NEVER wake up thirsty or hungry in the middle of the night. No one really sleeps through the night, we all wake, if only for a few seconds. I'd try offering water at these wakings and see how that goes. My 16 mo old still wakes to nurse, and my 3 year old still wakes for some water.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I know we all wake up during the night i was just wondering what other moms do I give her water first and than when she keeps crying uncontrollably i get her a bottle.
    sophiasmommy02

Answer by sophiasmommy02 at 1:44 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• If water doesn't satisfy her, then she probably is still hungry. Some babies still NEED food at this age, others don't. I think I sounded a little snotty in my last reply, and it was unintentional, sorry!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My daughter would wake every hour or two unttil she was abt 4 months old. Mydh and I bought the Baby Einstein Wake Up and Goodnight cd and only played the goodnight at bedtime now when she hears the beginnings of those lullabies she associates them with sleep. She began sleeping abt 10 hrs q night after a week or two
    BaileysMommy409

Answer by BaileysMommy409 at 4:11 AM on May. 27, 2010