is it at all possible for a previous c section scar to re open during pregnancy?

i am having pretty bad pain on my left side of my scar. and i got to feeling it, and for those of you who have had a c/s you can feel a ridge straight across on your top layer of skin, even on the second layer you can feel it. well on the first layer it is fine but on the second layer about an inch from the end of my scar on my left side it just drops off and feels like a hole or something.

what could happen if it has opened up?

do you think i should call the doctor?

and what will they do about it?

i think i'm going to call regardless but i need input.

has this happened to anyone and if so what happened?

proudmamaTTC2

Asked by proudmamaTTC2 at 11:27 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I heard that it can happen 1.5% out of every c-sections. So it isn't high, but it is possible. I am not sure what a doctor would do... maybe an ultrasound?
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:34 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I'm sure it's possible but not likely.. it's more likely for it to open during labor, VBAC. I have pain too and have had two C's. I think it's just b/c it's pulling that scar tissue.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 11:42 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• It is possible during labor. I don't know about earlier in pregnancy. My doctor scheduled a c-section for my second child, because I had an infection in my incision after my first (emergency c-section) delivery. Even after the infection was cleared up, it wouldn't close all the way, so I had to have plastic surgery to close the scar. The doc said she didn't trust the integrity of the healing of my uterine wall, and would not risk my life and the baby's to test it!

Call your doctor.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 11:47 AM on Dec. 3, 2008