Is anyone else having the first trimester screening done? why or why not??

JamieLSan

Asked by JamieLSan at 9:18 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• are you referring to the triple blood test that screens for birth defects? if so i guess that's a personal choice. would the results matter or not? if not, i wouldn't waste my time with the test. i opted out of it with my 3rd pregnancy. i had it done with my 2nd and got a false positive, followed by an unnecessary amniocentesis, all to find out my baby was fine. it was a lot of stress/worry for no reason. especially since i would've kept her anyway even if she did have a medical issue. if it's something you need to know though, get it done.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:27 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Yes that is what I am referring to... One of the main reasons I want it is for the u/s :) I actually had a missed miscarried in July and this test is how I found out that our baby had passed. That is my one worry, getting the false positive and stressing a lot more than I need to.
    JamieLSan

Comment by JamieLSan (original poster) at 9:31 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I didn't have it done because no matter the results it wouldn't matter to me. I love my baby and whether or not baby had any birth defects, etc. I would love baby just the same.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:35 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I had the nuchal fold/blood screen test done. DH was not in favor of the tests because we wouldn't have terminated the pregnancy, but I wanted to know what was happening. Also, I was 39 at the time and knew I would be at higher risk of having a child with down syndrome. I'm glad I had the tests because in my case, the results indicated that the baby's chromosomal makeup seemed normal. I was able to better relax knowing the odds were in my favor. Its a personal decision, though.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:19 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I chose not to have the tests done. The chance of getting a false positive is pretty high and all that would do is add to my stress. Regardless of what the test would have said it wouldn't change anything so I just couldn't see putting myself through all that. If your only reason for having it done is to get an ultrasound you can try talking to your doctor. Some doctors will do an ultrasound if asked just to ease mom's mind, especially since you recently had a miscarriage. Of course, your insurance may or may not allow another ultrasound. Like the pp said, it is a personal decision and only you will know what is right for you.
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 10:32 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I don't get it. The main consideration is what would you do with the information if you had it. For me, I wouldn't ever agree to an amnio to check for genetic issues, so if the first tests came back abnormal, I would just wait until the baby is born to see. That would cause me a lot more worry than it would help. So, since I wouldn't DO anything with the information, I don't have the early testing done.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:50 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I refused for the same reasons as most of PPs, it wouldn't have mattered to me, and I didn't want the stress of a maybe.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 10:56 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• i had it with my son but i also got a false positive for spina bifida, this time the dr i'm seeing doesn't even do that screening he does an u/s at 12wks to check the length and neck and head, he said it's much more indicative of problems than the screening.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:32 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Okay, maybe I am confused with what I am getting. They said frist trimester screening and yes I am having it done at 12 weeks. I am pretty sure they said they check the length and neck and head. I don't recall them saying a blood test, but it is possible. I was so nervous at my first appiontment I barely remember it :)
    JamieLSan

Comment by JamieLSan (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I was never offered any type of screening in the first trimester I don't think.... I was offered the triple screening that screens for down syndrome and other genetic defects in the second tri, and I decided not to do them. They have a high rate of false negatives and I don't want to spend my pregnancy worrying about my baby not being healthy. Also I would not do the amnio testing that you are supposed to do if a test does come back positive. There's nothing wrong with doing the testing so you can be prepared when the baby comes if something is wrong.
    SaraR216

Answer by SaraR216 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 25, 2011