• In the Spotlight:

Second Opinion? Y'all HELP??! (It's WORSE not better today)

Y'all may find this a silly subject - but I'm very serious - I'm in a lot of pain and cannot walk or drive.
First - I am such a big baby when I am hurt, I hate this. Second, I hate doctors; they're so smug and holier than thou and most of them are not very good at communicating with us. Third, my feet are just too important; I mean we only get two for life, right.
I may or may not have 2 Neuromas in my right foot - I say "may or may not" because the podiatrist I went to didn't do any kind of xray or any exam other than looking at my foot and saying "You have two of the biggest Neuromas I've ever seen" (He might be right - but how am I to know). He immediately told me that most of the time it's treated with steroid shots (and if they don't work - then surgery and the surgery leaves you with no feeling in your baby toe AND the neuromas just grow back anyhow) BUT he prefers an "alternative injection" -- some kind of Alcohol solution (and this is supposed to be a permanent solution - *IF* it works. While my head was still spinning from hearing "2 of the biggest I've ever seen" and "surgery, loss of feeling, still grow back" - he grabbed a needle and shoved it in my foot. (I damn near passed out from the pain of the injection).
According to him "Most people" feel 90% or better relief immediately -- I didn't. He started padding my foot and when he had it 100% padded, I finally noted about 30% relief (I figure because the bottom of my foot is padded and I'm no longer standing on the area of pain)
That was Saturday - and here we are on Monday and it's worse! NOW it's swollen on the bottom (my toes don't even touch the floor when I put my foot down) - and when I stand on it, I have areas that feel like I'm standing on thorns!

This podiatrist is ONLY open on Friday and Saturday . A couple of people have told me that this all sounds like a scheme - that a podiatrist should NEVER also be a 'shoe store' - but his office and the shoe store are pretty much one in the same. (His office has a "back way" to get to the shoe store next door to it ~ while they expect that a podiatrist would/could recommend a certain type of shoe, the consensus is that being a shoe store also is a conflict of interest). He sold me a pair of CROCS and some insoles ($70)

BTW - he also wants me to do something called Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy (at a cost of about $1800 - my insurance don't recognize it). Because he said that I didn't 'respond well to the injection'. (Well DUH - you shoved a BIG needle in the top of my foot without giving me time to compute all that was being told to me or even letting me choose what I think *I* should do)

I'm kinda feeling like I got taken - and now I don't know what to do -- should I call him and tell him that I'm in more pain, not less - wait till Saturday and go see him again or just call another podiatrist? Is it normal for a podiatrist to also be a shoe store? I'm confused - HELP?

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 9:21 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Health

• ALWAYS get a second opinion.........hope it all works out!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 9:26 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I will go to another doctor and see if they do a better job good luck
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 9:40 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Google, research, call another podiatrist that has normal hours Mon- Fri at the very least
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 9:41 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Find somebody else NOW. This isn't normal nor does it sound very ethical. I think you need a new doctor.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:09 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• You need to find a different podiatrist ASAP.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:49 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• get a second opinion ASAP
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:02 AM on Apr. 25, 2011