What can I say or do?

My roommate (and best friend of 20+ yrs) just had a beautiful baby boy, he was born at 37 weeks and she had preclampsia, so he didn't come home from the NICU until yesterday...Last night he was having irregular breathing and at one point his lips turned blue so they took him to the hospital in an ambulance. It looks like all will be ok, but how can I help to keep her calm and let her know she's doing a great job being a mom? She's so worried and afraid to make mistakes that I'm nervous for her. I had severe post partum depression with my oldest and I'm afraid that if she doesn't gain a little confidence she's going to be in the same situation. I really care for her and the baby, it's hurting me to see sadness and worry on her face constantly. How can I help her?

sbenbenek

Asked by sbenbenek at 9:26 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just keep reassuring her that she's doing a good job and that she's a good mom.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:31 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Anytime you see her doing something (even small and insignificant) praise her. It sounds silly and crazy but I know that when I hear someone say that Im a good mom it doesnt mean as much as when they use examples. Because then I know they really are watching and arent just saying things. It will boost her confidence and you will see that she feels more secure in this bad little time when her baby needs extra help.
    alligurl186

Answer by alligurl186 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2011