Has anyone used the Progressive Insurance Snapshot device for discounts?

If so, how much of an average savings do you earn by using this thing? I keep seeing commercials about it and it says 'up to 30%' but I want to know how much people are actually saving.

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 9:27 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• I don't know...that whole Snapshot thing sounds a little weird to me. They put a tracking device on your car for a month? Creepy. What if you just drive like a grandma for that month, then go back to your regular, risky driving habits afterward? Would it be grounds for them to later dismiss a claim, by stating that you weren't driving within your original "Snapshot" style? I guess I prefer AllState's safe driver discounts which don't require any tracking devices.
    Besides, I cannot justify supporting Progressive Insurance knowing what causes much of that money is funneled into.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:46 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Great question, I want to know too!!! I will be watching this one!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 9:28 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Good question. We changed from progressive to Shelter last year and now we pay half of what we did before and we have our homeowners insurance on the same policy and progressive wanted to charge us $2700 a year to insure our home because we were renovating it. Shelter only charges us $250/year. For our car insurance (no tickets, no accidents) we were paying $252 a month, now we pay $127 and we have added another vehicle that we didn't have with progressive and my husband now has a new truck that we have full coverage on. I just don't see how progressive can really save anyone money.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:42 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• we are in the process of using it right now. It's just a little device that you plug in and it randomly checks your speed and such. at the end if it showed i was a safe driver which it will b/c i do most of my driving on post and am a stickler for using my blinker. If all goes well i will get the 30% off my insurance. So i will keep you posted on how it all ends.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 10:01 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• no they cant later take it off and it's only for that month then you lock in that price with the discount even if you drive like a bat out of hell after you return the device and so far it has been no inconvienance to me
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 10:03 AM on Apr. 25, 2011