Is Hebrews 4 saying that Sabbath is still to be followed?

I'll post the verse below.
Hebrews 4 (King James Version)

Hebrews 4

1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

3For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

4For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

5And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

6Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

7Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

8For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

9There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

10For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

11Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

12For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

13Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

14Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.

15For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

16Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 9:41 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Yes. It's one of the 10 commandments. Honor the sabbath!! BTW? The Sabbath is from Friday at sundown to Saturday at sundown.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:42 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I was raised Seventh Day Adventist, so the old ball and chain is true? *sigh
    rhanford

Comment by rhanford (original poster) at 9:46 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• God instituted the observance of a weekly Sabbath after he delivered the Israelites from Egypt, which he made their law, Exodus16:22-30; 20:8-10. But the apostle Paul explained that Jesus offered himself as a sacrifice and (quote) “abolished . . . the Law of commandments consisting in decrees” and “blotted out the handwritten document.” Ephesians 2:15; Colossians 2:14

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 10:02 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I believe it is. I can't remember exactly what I was taught but I do believe this is what it is saying.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 2:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• So we are bound to the OT way of things still, this kinda blows
    rhanford

Comment by rhanford (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• No your not Rhanford... Sabbath rest does not necessary means a day of rest... but a lifestyle. That doesnt mean you do absolutely nothing. Its spiritual rest.. a leaning into the arms of the Beloved and resting in Him.

I encourage you to do a study on this... and read other translations as well. The Message will help a lot
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:12 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I think Hebrews 4 is talking about a spiritual rest, not a physical one (as intended by the Sabbath). When you believe the saving message of Christ, you enter God's spiritual rest--the "rest" of his forgiveness, salvation and Spirit. When we die in the Lord, we enter his perfect rest in heaven. That's my take on it anyway.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:36 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Well all I know is that when I was growing up you couldn't do things on sabbath. swimming bike riding anting that does not have to do with God you do not do on Sabbath. I HATED Sabbath, and kind of have a resentment, I hate so many effin rules, Sorry but I was raised with the ball and chain and it angers me that Adventists may be right, and I don't like their God...
    rhanford

Comment by rhanford (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I am Seventh Day Adventist. The Catholics (they will admit it) are the ones who changed the 4th commandment. so yes, Sabbath is from Friday sundown to Saturday Sundown. I can understand the "hate" towards not being able to do things on Sabbath. That is called Legalistic....those people still believe it's a sin to have your ears peirced, etc...maybe it is, I dunno. All I know is that there are FAR more important things to focus on besides that. My sister has piercings, and tatoos and she's no less of an Adventist than me :) God knows the heart. I don't lock myself in the house right after sundown..that's ridiculous. Im sorry you feel that way. I am in no way super conservative but feel privelidged to be a Seventh Day Adventist. :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:42 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• it's also really sad that people raise their kids to have a resentment...I remember LOVING Sabbath growing up. always had get togethers with friends, music, etc...always went hiking Sabbath afternoon after lunch. We still do that :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2011