What do you think about this? (this might get heated)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110425/ap_on_re_us/us_texas_transgender_marriage

Quoted from the artical it's self: 'One of the Republican sponsors of the legislation said he's simply trying to clean up the 2009 law in a state that bans same-sex marriage under the Constitution.

"The Texas Constitution," Sen. Tommy Williams said, "clearly defines marriage between one man and one woman." '

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think marriage should be between one man and one woman. I think gays could have a different type of union that allows them to be in the hospital with eachother and other rights. IMO anyone should be able to name who they want to give the right to make decisions and be the person there for them. I guess its just semantics but to me a marriage is between a husband and wife.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:30 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• OP, do you want your question to get heated? It sounds like you are inviting a bash fest against those who will disagree with you.

I am against gay "marriage" given that marriage is traditionally a term involving faith and gay "marriage" interferes with my constitutional right to freedom of religion. I do not oppose a legally contracted union for gays. This being said, I think it is up to the people of the state of Texas.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:48 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I don't think much about it at all but It does make me wonder if they are working on the REAL important things.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Guess I should have read the artice first...I think if someone has a sex change then they should be allowed to get married as their new sex.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:32 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Personally, for me the term marriage is reserved for the union between a man and woman. I don't have a problem with gays making some sort of life commitment and getting the perks and pitfalls of marriage, but I don't think the definition of the term should be changed, I think there should be a different term for the union of a gay couple. If a person has a sex change then they are the new sex and should be treated as such. If you've got a man's parts, your a man, if you have a woman's parts, you're a woman. It's not really that complicated.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:26 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• if it comes to a vote from the people of Texas, than its their battle. honestly, marriage is no more about a religious ceremony than the people who make it such. we've all seen/known marriages 'made in church, with God as their witness' that no more hold to that committment than i hold to my committment to not overeat carbs.
    marriage is personal, can be a legally binding contract, and should be open to anyone. same-sex/transgendered marriages no more affect my marriage than my eating too many carbs affects your (in general) diet.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:09 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• LOL, I didn't post an opinion, only a quote. stop looking for a fight where there wasn't one with me.

I just posted something that was brought to my attention with a quote that was pulled from the article.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It sounds like they are just attacking the transgendered this time because they've already won against the gays.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:38 PM on Apr. 25, 2011