Fever of 104.3 for a 3-1/2 year old...

So my son started a fever on Friday afternoon. it was 102.8 so my MIL gave him Tylenol and by the time I got home 2 hours later, it had gone up to 103.5 so I called the Nurse careline and while talking to them it went to 103.9 and 104.3 before I got off the phone with them. Her advice ( the nurse ) Alternate Tylenol and Ibuprofen every 3 hours and that the doses on the bottle stating 1tsp for his weight is incorrect, I should or can give him up to 1-1/2 tsp.. and to bring him to the DR if it gets to 105 or if it lasts longer than 72 hours- all weekend kept spiking up to 103.9 once the meds wore off so I called last night and the nurse I talked to then acted like I was terrible already for not bring him in to the Dr/ER once it hit 104 friday.. she said that was FAR too high for a 3-1/2 year old - he has no other symptoms and his fever did end up breaking sunday and he's better but its really frustrating to get conflicting advice from a Careline/helpline... what is a "Too high" temp for this age?? I looked on line and that didn't help give me an answer either... 

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 10:29 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• 104 is high, but not OMG BRING HIM IN NOW!!!! high. If it was that high and tynelol did not bring it down, then my doctor would want to see him. And the fact that it has been pretty high all weekend is a good reason to bring him to his doctor. No need for the ER.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 10:40 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Did you try giving him a cool bath? That's usually what they do at the er anyways. If that don't work then take him to the er.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 10:32 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• you know my nurses tell me that it isn't so much the fever as to how they are acting. I think that is crazy. Not sure about 3.5, but my 5 year old had a fever of 102.4 so I called and they said it can get up to 103, 104, 105 or even 106 it isn't the fever it is how they are acting. She said the fever is fighting off something and they even told me they don't recomend tylenol unless they are in pain. I honestly give tylenol to get the temp down and I give cool baths and honstly I think if it reached more than 103 I would go to the ER. But my kids don't normally get fevers more than 102.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:38 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• You need to take him to the doctor. He could have an infection that requires an antibiotic to treat.

Fevers aren't something to mess with! Be proactive!
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:38 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Ok - just for the record here - Calling Dr's and Nurses IS being Proactive. The clinics were closed by the time I got home and urgent care had a 3 hour wait Friday when we stopped there.. he IS already better and it was a "viral fever" which he often gets, my QUESTION simply was to get REAL Mothers advice on the temp degree - Sheesh -
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 10:42 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I would be making a doctor appt. You never know what is going on in his little body. In the meantime try a cool bath. You can also give him a popcicle to help cool him down. Good luck mama and I hope he gets to feeling better soon!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:45 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I am glad to hear that he is feeling better. As far as the temp, I start to get a little hyper when my daughters temp goes above 103. I was told by my pedi. That children handle high fevers better than adults and can strike high fevers for the smallest infection.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:49 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• go to the doctor, stop playing around with hotlines.........just GO
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:31 AM on Apr. 25, 2011