Movie Theater...?

I'm a stay at home mom and my daughter is 2 1/2 and I was just curious to know at what age your child(ren) started to see movies at the movie theater? I'm taking into consideration my daughter's attention span and the fact that this would be a new experience for her. It's during work hours, I'm sure it won't be crowded, so I think it would be a good time to try and see how she does.

careph

Asked by careph at 10:33 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I took my daughter when she was that age, but it has to be a movie that would capture her attention. We went during the summer movie series at the local theater - free movies each week all summer long. It was a great way to see how she would do with a price I could bail out if I needed to; plus all of the movies were kid friendly.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 10:35 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I may sound crazy, but my child was 5 before I took her to a movie. She could not sit still for a 30 min. cartoon at home, or be quiet for more than a minute. But, every child is different. During the day when it is less crowded is a good time to try. It will be such a fun experience for her! Good luck!!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 10:38 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• When mine were 2.5 and 3, I took them to the theater to see Up. If it is a matinee and the movie didn't JUST come out, you should be fine. With mine, I sat at one end of the aisle, my husband sat at the other end, and the kids walked back and forth between us. For some reason they don't like to sit and watch. They weren't loud and they really did watch the movie, they just refused to sit down. Since there weren't many people in the theater it really wasn't a big deal. They thought it was a grand adventure. (Though I don't recommend seeing anything in 3D. They refused to wear their glasses and then swiped mine about halfway through.)
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:39 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I took my son when he was 3 and he was fine. The movie really held his attention, until he fell asleep! HOWEVER, I have been in a theater too many times where there were kids (some older than that, some younger) and it was pure hell. They were loud, would not sit still, ran up and down the aisles, etc. The parents should have taken the kids and left; instead, they made it miserable for the rest of us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I think it's a great time to try it...........just make sure its a movie that's colorful and lively!!! Good luck!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:39 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I took my daughter for her third birthday. Kid-friendly, lots of colors, and a nearly empty theater. She got bored and we left about halfway through, but (at 6) she doesn't remember that part. She just remembers how much fun she had and I remember that we managed not to irritate anybody. I say try it! Good luck!
    blu_canary

Answer by blu_canary at 10:49 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• ds was probably 3 1/2 his first visit.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:03 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I took my kids when they were 2-3, but always first to a "cheap" movie so I could see how they would act. Most places have summer movies that are either free or $1 where I took my kids (and still take them). Call around and see if any of the theaters have a summer movie schedule for weekday mornings.

Answer by missanc at 11:19 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• 4
    ciaras_mom_05

Answer by ciaras_mom_05 at 12:36 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My DS was over 2 but not quite 2 1/2 the first time. We saw the Polar Express and he sat mesmerized by it. My DD was roughly the same age the first time we took her. The movie was "Happy Feet" and DH spent almost half the movie out in the lobby with a very active, talkative toddler. LOL! A few months later we tried again and she did much better.

2 1/2 isn't too young if she's ready. Many kids go around then - some later, some earlier. if you think she can handle sitting the duration of the film and remaining fairly quite (I've yet to be in a child's movie where someone wasn't whispering at some point!) then why not try it.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:54 PM on Apr. 25, 2011