Why do people get cosmetic surgery? Just trying to clear something up in my head.

One would do it to either reconstruct something they lost(they got in a horrible accident and lost half of their face) or to be more attractive and get more attention, right? Are there any other reasons?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Health

• Could be to fix something they're uncomfortable with to make them feel better about themselves but not necessarily to get more attention. For example, getting rid of a bump on a nose or ears that stick out alot. Neither are really aimed at getting more attention. In fact, they're really aimed at getting less attention!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Self-esteem plays a role for some.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• some people do it strictly because their spouse/SO wants them to do so...and they'll pay for it, too!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:59 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Low self-esteem, insecurity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• For me, it's to feel better about myself. When I look good, I feel good! Really, I couldn't care what anyone else thinks, but I want to look good for ME. If I don't feel I look good, I'm going to do something about it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:03 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• birth anomalies
    momversuswild

Answer by momversuswild at 11:18 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Low self esteem. I would love to have a tummy tuck. Oh and no not for attention just to feel better about me.
    momkaribg

Answer by momkaribg at 11:47 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It could be to fix something medical. Like if you have trouble breathing because of nasal cavity issues, you might get a nose job. Or if you have a mole that is really large, you might have it removed in case it's cancerous. Or maybe if your breasts are two different sizes making it difficult to buy bras, you might get them fixed.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 4:35 PM on Apr. 25, 2011