Expect another increase in gas prices as EPA shuts down Shell

Shell will be unable to drill in Alaska this summer because the EPA has refused needed air quality permits. It is interesting to note the area in question is quite remote with the nearest village of only 245 people is 70 miles away.

This will cost US production 27 billion barrels over the course of the summer. The Alaskan pipeline will be dangerously low..at only one-third of it's usual delivery.

“It’s driving investment and production overseas,” said Alaska’s DNR Commissioner Dan Sullivan. “That doesn’t help the United States in any way, shape or form.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/04/25/energy-america-oil-drilling-denial/

What are your thoughts?

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 11:07 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• – collapse
    Do you have a more neutral source? I don't trust Faux News.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• The EPA is at it again, huh? If you had told me a year ago that there would be a federal agency that I would want dismantled more than I want the DoE dismantled, I would have scoffed, but the EPA is now at the top of my list. What a worthless and wasteful organization.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 11:23 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Is Popular Mechanics, "neutral enough" for you?!

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/coal-oil-gas/offshore-oil-drilling-arctic-shell-cancels?src=rss

You DO realize you are free to GOOGLE for what you consider a better source, don't you?! LOL  Now, after you've had a chance to read the "neutral" source, I'm sure the OP would love to hear your thoughts on the matter! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:29 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• No wonder she went anon...I would hate for people to know I didn't know how to google.

yourspecialkid

Comment by yourspecialkid (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It's all the news up here..... Not only does shell create/sustain jobs, they also invest in the schools, local charities, etc.... This has a greater impact for the economy of Alaska... One of the major reason Alaska's UE rate is BELOW the national average? Oil.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I was reading about this. And yes, FOX is pretty much the only ones reporting it. To bad you don't trust the most trusted news out there. If you want it from someone else you will just have to wait. They are always a day late and a dollar short.
    This is EPA doing what it does best. That's more jobs down the tubes and we are even further from energy independence. Shell has spent millions already and now must shut it down.
    the best thing that could happen for America is to shut the EPA down.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• According to the Popular Mechanics article Shell hasn't drilled in the area before, these are new wells they are looking to set up and they are for exploration, they're not even sure if there is oil there.

Also according to the article production in Prudhoe Bay has been on the decline since it peaked in the 1980's. There was also a leak at one of the pump stations forcing production to slow down more recently.

Considering that it is cheaper for companies to drill in the Bakken than it is in Alaska right now, I'd say this is more likely a private business decision to decrease drilling in Alaska. This decision is also based on the fact that I live in North Dakota, my husband works in oil and natural gas exploration, and I have also worked in the same field in both Wyoming and North Dakota. Most of the people who work in Alaska are coming here, it's more profitable for the companies to drill here than in Alaska.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 12:43 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Yikes, in that second sentence in the 3rd paragraph it should say "opinion", not "decision". That's what I get for playing Go Fish at the same time.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 1:01 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I'd rather shut down th EPA. They will continue this type of crap until the American people stand up as a collective voice and demand a change. We think there is nothing they can do, but they exist because we allow them too and not the other way around (though the EPA will argue the point).
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:04 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Shutting down EPA is a splendid idea!! I'll second that and wish I could vote you up more lol.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:05 PM on Apr. 25, 2011