911/ seriously going to flip!

I need some advice cafemoms!! My DS (20mos) won't stop hitting me, kicking me, biting me, or doing all the above while screaming "NOOOOO!!!" in my face. just now he pushed over our little fish tank and attempted to step on my fish, and when I grabbed him and said "NO, NO" he smacked me, picked up a rat...her large plastic dragon toy and smacked me across the face with it and said "NO NO MOMMA" what do I do. I can't believe i'm saying this, but my 20 month old is not only hurting my feelings, he is physically hurting me. I don't know how to correct it. I've tired lots of things, redirection, positive inforcment, negitive, grabbing his hands and saying "no hit, nice touches for mommy" doing the same to him, and rubbing his face, "nice touches for Colton" the corner. PLEASE HELP! I actally have a 4 inch cut on my face because of that damned dragon toy from above my eye to my nose. I just want to cry.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When she's freaking out and hitting u, I would hold her down until she calms down and say in a nice tone "we don't hit."
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:18 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• does he attend day care? or around other kids that do the same
    auggirl11

Answer by auggirl11 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Have you tried doing time outs? My 20 month old is biter and hitter also and the time outs have been pretty effective for me.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:21 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• No day care, he stays with me 24/7 and I'm a single mother. I know I make mistakes, but I don't ever hit him, ever. N i try to do my very best with him, but OBVIOUSLY i'm doing somthing wrong. This cant be his terible twos, I've never seen a kick act so...so cold...to anyone. I just want to cry.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• You have be firm every time say NO be nice and put him in his room. Grabbing his hands and saying no is the best, but do put him in his room. This teaches him you don't want him around when he is bad. He needs to know you are very angry with his actions.

But if likes and keeps hitting you and wants to kill the fish as time go's on than you might need to see a good child doctor.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:22 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Also, have you tried sort of fake crying after he hits you so he understands that he is hurting you? That always stops my little guy in his tracks immediately and he actually tries to give me a hug and make me feel better.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:22 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Yes, i've tried the fake crying. Sometimes he gets very sweet and hugs and kisses me, other times he ignores me, and other times he just calls off and starts smacking me.,
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I agree: separate him from you physically for a short period to let him know this is NOT okay.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:57 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My daughter was like that! I felt like crying. :( So, I would just pick her up, put her down in another part of the room, and firmly say, "Gentle only with mama." She wound up turning into such a sweet and delightful pre-schooler. The hitting is just about attention . . .

Hugs.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:49 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I agree with the suggestions above about it possibly just being a need for attention and telling him to be sweet and putting him in time out. My 3yo does this randomly and she seems to be sweet when she realizes that I'm emotionally hurt by her actions. But, there is the possibility that he has some underlying behavioral issue/mental issue that would make it difficult for him to understand that he is doing wrong. Have you had him evaluated for developmental/behavioral issues?
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 10:14 PM on Apr. 25, 2011