Freakin REALLY???

My daughter is eight.... You would think she would be past this kind of crap. However, she proved me wrong this weekend.

You know those little beads that you put on a little board and then iron them to melt them together into whatever design you created?? Well she had a bucket of 750 of them. Not sure who gave them to her... But she was tossing them all over her playroom. There were beads everywhere. She was making it rain.... Her reasoning... She wanted to be a girl among flowers and that was the closest thing she had.

I was freakin livid.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• meandrphoto - I bet you're a wonderful parent who never judges other parents on their feelings or parenting strategies! Oh... nevermind.....
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 9:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Oh come on. She was being creative, just in a very messy way. If you teach her to clean up after her flowers I really don't see the problem.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 11:22 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• As irritating as it would be, you have to admit, her reasoning was pretty sweet.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:39 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I understand it was frustrating, but they are just beads and can be cleaned up with a vacuum cleaner. Paint on the walls? Then livid is probably called for. Beads on the floor? Just make her clean them up.

As for expense...it sounds like you didn't buy them since you don't know where they come from, and I'm guessing she got her money's worth out of them pretending.

Take a deep breath. Kids can sometimes be irritating, but it will be ok. This isn't the hill you want to die on.
    blu_canary

Answer by blu_canary at 11:28 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I would have taken pictures and shared it with my family.

A waste of money? You said you didn't get them for her. If you were that concerned about "wasting them" you could have vacuumed them and told her to separate and clean them so they could be used again. Not as punishment but as to show her responsibility for her actions. "If you want to do this I encourage you, but that means work later"

Lighten up.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 11:40 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It's called imagination. She's 8. Let her enjoy it while it lasts. Just make sure SHE picks up every last bead when she's done.
    Anonymous

• So the beads were still good and you made her throw them away? You were the one that wasted them. Not her. You could have had her spend the time to pick them up and use them for what they were meant to be used for later. You're right, those beads did cost something to someone and YOU wasted them. YOU were disrespectful of the person who gave them to her. Maybe you should find out who gave them to her and explain that she wanted to make it rain flowers and you made her throw them away.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:43 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Just one of many things kids will do that you'll one day laugh over. While it makes a mess it's really not a big deal and actually kinda cute.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:25 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• OMG that's so cute! It's just beads. Let her have her moment. She can clean it all up. Don't burst her bubble.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:26 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Shaken...i can see your point. Yeah, when it is happening to you it isn't funny.

BUT

Because it wasn't my house, my kids or my mess.....oh, not sure I could say I still wouldn't be frustrated.

Well, now she doesn't have those beads any longer.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 25, 2011