How do you self check to see if you're dialated? TMI adult content

So I went to L&D yesterday and the nurse said I wasn't dialated at all. Well usually it hurts a lot to check and I feel so tight. Yesterday, if felt like there was a ton of room in there, and I could feel her seperate her fingers. So last night my husband wanted to check, and he said there's way a lot of room and that's not like me. So how do you know when you've reached the cervix to check for dialation?

Yuriko_chan

Asked by Yuriko_chan at 11:26 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• http://prepforlabor.tripod.com/id14.html
    You can feel your cervix and see if there is any change. Last time I went to L&D (at 27 weeks) the nurse said that I wasn't dilating. I was between 1 and 2 cm dilated, but that is normal for subsequent pregnancies. So, it really was nothing, even though I am a bit dilated. I'm just not any more dilated than they would expect. I can feel my cervix and feel that it isn't completely closed, but I know it hasn't changed in the last few months.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 11:34 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• So does the cervix feel different than the rest in there? Because when my husband checked, he went up there pretty far and could spread his fingers out to about 3-4 cm. So I don't understand how that could be and the nurse said I'm fully closed... I'll check out that site though, thanks!
    Yuriko_chan

Comment by Yuriko_chan (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• http://www.ehow.com/how_2103641_check-cervix-dilation.html

Although it might be difficult depending on where your cervix is, you might be posterieor so your dh isn't really feeling anything. And if your cervix is posterior, it will be awhile before your little one is here. Not to burst your bubble, but dh isn't trained, and none of these sites will tell him exactly what the cervix feels like, so he might not be feeling your cervix. And being dilated doesn't really mean much. You can be dilated for weeks before anything happens.

BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:40 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I really don't think you should be checking yourself. Leave it to the professionals!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2011