I have a clogged ear, and its NOT ear waxx

I have a sinus infection.. I think. Well my nose is clogged, and have mucus. Thats really about it. The other night I was trying to pop my ears because I felt like my ear was clooged like when ur on a plane. Well while trying to pop it, I DID hear a pop, but then I was in PAIN!! I went to the store and bought ear drops, and i took an antibiotic my dh had, and half of a vicodine for the pain. I went to bed, and the next day I felt A LOT better. Last night it hurt again, so I took the same meds, plus the ear drops, and this morning I feel great, but its STILL clogged! I looked online for remedies, but most are for ear waxx build up. I am for sure its not wax.

What can I do to get this water, ear drop solution, or whatever out of my ear?? (The crappy part about all this is that I dont have insurance!!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Health

• Are you really really sure its not ear wax? You may need to go to the doctor to see what is really going. I had to go a few years back because mine was clogged up and it build-up wax. I would say to get it out check out professionally.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 11:30 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• See a doctor to determine if you tore your eardrum first before you do anything else. My ears always get that feeling when I have a sinus infection too. FYI: you cannot use the ear drops in more than one location at a time. In otherwords, don't use it in your eyes and ear or ear and nose at the same time. This for some reason creates a worse infection. I use a couple drops of eye/ear drops in the nostril that is infected when I am sick.
    vampporcupine

Answer by vampporcupine at 11:31 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I have this a lot too. I always take Mucinex. It clears it up within a couple of days. The tube from your ear to your nasal passage gets clogged and causes those symptoms. The Mucinex dries up the moisture and it will help with the sinus infection too. You won't feel any better until it clears, but it does work. Do make sure to drink plenty of water because the Mucinex can dehydrate you.

feel better

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:35 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Have you tried ear candles? It's not too expensive and really easy to do and might help.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:35 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• If u truly have a sinus infection only antibiotics can clear your ear. See a dr.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:35 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• You probably have an infection. I've been struggling with the same thing for a month, and only now have most of the hearing back in my left ear.

Head to an urgent care. You do need antibiotics.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:38 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• AHH! Its my left ear too!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It sounds like you ruptured your eardrum. Do NOT use ear candles until you can get your ear looked at. Don't flush the ear canal or insert anything into it, either. You could seriously damage your eardrum or worse. If you did in fact rupture, you'll need antibiotics ASAP.

6girlsrock

Answer by 6girlsrock at 11:46 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Quit taking your DH's leftover antibiotics, for one thing - dangerous and not smart. Don't put anything in that ear, especially if it hurts, just in case the pop you heard was your eardrum breaking, and especially don't candle your ear. My left ear has been plugged up too lately, and I've been taking regular, original, Sudafed (the stuff you have to show your ID for) and that is helping. Mine doesn't hurt, it's just plugged up, and I know wax isn't my problem either. I'm not going to wait much longer before calling my doc though - regardless of my insurance not covering it.
    Anonymous

• sounds like you had an ear infection and your eardrum burst. All a dr will do is give antibiotics which may speed up healing but not totally necessary, Sounds like the worst is over, you can try a hot compress or a heating pad and some advil.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 9:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2011