Head lice!!! Help!

My son will be 2 may 5th. This morning after our shower I was drying him off & noticed something in his hair, got it out & put it on the sink & sure enough it was a bug! Got to looking and found several more! (8all together) Ive only found 2 eggs so far...so ive never dealt with this yet so help please! I bought the lice kit, 3 steps, im going to treat him, us & everything after work tonight!

EthansMommy5

Asked by EthansMommy5 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He is so little and it is so close to summer, I would seriously consider shaving his head. It is not like he is going to be teased by kids at school about it and it will save you hours of work. Plus, who knows if he will want to sit still for all the nit picking and treatments.

If you shave his head, then you only have to worry about anyone else in the house having it and spreading ti around, but it is easier for adults.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:30 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I'm with sleeping beautee . . .much easier to shave it off and treat the clothes!

Hugs.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:33 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I also agree with SleepingBeautee. I'd just shave his head and be done with them for sure.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:34 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Read the kit you got very carefully. He's very young and you're not suppose to use most of them on kids his age. The treatment is a pesticide.
    Jessica45

Answer by Jessica45 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My daughter got lice in school when she was just a baby. Out of eight babies six had lice. I was pretty mad... BUT... mayonaise works great. Put it on his head. Cover it with a beanie. Leave it for about half an hour. Then rinse. Make sure you wash all his sheets and blankets, Buy new pillows. Seal any stuffed animals in a garbage bag for at least a week.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 11:35 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Vacuum his bed/pillow; wash all the linens in hot water.

I recommend Listerine (the yellow stuff, not minty). Pour it on the hair, put on a shower cap, let sit on for a few hours or overnight (yeah right for that age, right?) then wash like normal and comb out for nits (eggs). It doesn't have the pesticides in the medicated shampoo, so it's safe to use a lot more often, to make sure no eggs that you missed are hatching and perpetuating.

I've got girls, and when my oldest got lice (at school?) it FREAKED me out. But you can do this, mamma! Try the listerine on your own hair if you get like me and start itching thinking about it and knowing you can't check your own head, but if you use product (mousse, hair spray, etc.) in your hair it apparently keeps the lice away....
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 11:36 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• First. Give him a buzz cut. Really short. Then do the treatment. He's only 2, he won't know. I would even consider shaving it all off. My daughter had it bad. It took a long time to get rid of completely. We now put tea tree oil in everything that goes on her hair. I combed it through with a lice comb and conditioner every other day.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:40 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Just like to say that now my head is itching like crazy!!! And I agree with shaving his head.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 11:50 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I have to agree with the others, shaving would be easiest. Of course, you would also have to make sure you vacuum everything that can't be put in the washer. If he has stuffed animals, they should be washed in hot water. If you don't want to shave his head, make sure you repeat the treatment according to the directions.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 12:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Those chemicals are so harsh, especially on his little head. I'm a hair stylist and my personal favorite thing to recommend is Proclaim Cream Cholesterol. It's a deep conditioner so you won't have to worry about chemicals. You apply generously to his head, use a hair bag to cover it or you can just let him run around with it uncovered if you're worried about the hair bag (he is still pretty young). In the morning use a fine tooth comb to comb comb comb comb COMB the bugs and eggs out. It's so heavy that it smothers the bug/eggs to death. It has always worked for my clients and my nieces.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Proclaim-Cream-Cholesterol/PROCLM26,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair&cm_vc=SEARCH
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 1:30 PM on Apr. 25, 2011