Life changing experience today (venting sorry)

So, my entire life I've been around my mom running an at home daycare. I grew up around babies, toddlers, & preschool children. I know this stuff. I've always wanted to be a preschool teacher. I've sat in on my son's preschool classes & it's def something that I think I'd enjoy doing everyday. I'm currently in school to earn my Early Childhood Development Associate Degree. I'm right now earning my Preschool Education Certificate. I have connections to Head Start in my state. I'm volenteering there for a class today and if I like it, I'm going to keep volenteering so my foot is in the door, which working for head start THE STATE is an awesome job. I'm so scared bc if I don't like it, WTF am I going to do with my life ? This is all I know. This is what I have a passion for. BUT an at home daycare is completely different than preschool or even a daycare center. I've worked in a daycare & I don't like how they are ran at all. I disagree with a lot of the things that are "rules" like not giving the kids at least water to drink through out the day. They only get something to drink at breakfast, snack, & lunch. I'm talking about a daycare center that these kids were with me all day & they got ONLY milk too. Some kids didn't like the milk & didn't get anything else to drink. Not ok with me. So... IDK I'm just SO scared that I'm not going to like it. IDK what to do then. What will I go to school for ? What will I do as a career ? My whole world will be falling into pieces. Today is a life changing experience for me. Lets hope its for the best ! Sorry had to vent. Thanks for listening.

loudnproud87

Asked by loudnproud87 at 11:30 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• Girl I am sure that you will do great. If you love children, then I don't see why you wouldn't like it.
    silva_dianne

Answer by silva_dianne at 2:57 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I stopped day care because of all the rules!! Government telling you what is best is just wrong!
    .......
    So I just became the best mom and now grandmother, I love my job, it can be very rewarding.

As the my kids became older I was always volunteering in their schools, something every parent needs to do to see how the teachers are acting with your kids. There is a lot of BS in schools and you do need to keep an eye on.

And sometimes by volunteering in schools they may give you a job there?
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:45 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• You can do more with an Early Childhood Development degree than just work at a preschool. Have you thought about social work?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Working at a daycare center is way different than working at a class2 home daycare (which isn't out of your home), if you are running it, then you are running it. Yes you still have rules, but they are more lenient. Daycare centers have a lot more rules and regulations because of the levels of education you need. I'm in the process of starting my own class2 home daycare, it's a lot of work, but i know this is what I want to do.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:50 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• What about teaching kindergarten etc...
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 1:05 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Sounds like you worked at an awful daycare. I never worked at one that wouldn't give kids a drink. In fact they all had water fountains that the kids could use at any time. Anyway, teaching preschool, daycare and in home are totally different but also all rewarding. Before I had children I loved teaching PreK in a school setting. The parents regard you in a totally different manner than they do in daycare. In daycare some parents do not even get to know your name. I now run an in home daycare. I love it. I am able to bring in an income and stay home with my kids. Since it is my business I can set the rules. I try to stay with ages 2 and up so we can be really active with crafts and going to the park and not be tied down with infants. If your passion is with children you will find that no matter where you work you love what you do regardless of the type of center for the most part.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 1:12 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Thanks for your advice, Ladies & for sharing your stories. It went well. The rules are def different at preschool than a daycare center. I won't work at a daycare center again. I'm def going for preschool or up. I actually enjoyed and I'm looking forward to volunteering for the rest of the school year! I learned a lot from the teacher about the education I will be needing and what route I want to go. I will not settle for less than the head teacher in the room, that's for sure. No teaching assistant here. LOL

loudnproud87

Comment by loudnproud87 (original poster) at 4:34 PM on Apr. 25, 2011