When do you get a break?

I work full time and then come home to my kiddo. We do homework (I am in school too), we do chores, we have dinner, then showers and get ready for bed. This is all week long. My husband works a second job some nights and others he hangs out and plays poker with friends. Saturday mornings are mine. I do as I please on my own. Saturday afternoons are family time. Sundays are clean up day and then I get a little free time while they have daddy daughter time.

Sometimes I feel like it isn't enough. Every once in awhile I would like to go see my mom on my own. Is this unreasonable? Not saying like every weekend. But maybe once a quarter.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 11:31 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• I get from 3:30pm-4:30pm Monday-Friday, and pretty much all day every other Friday. Then on the weekends sometimes I get naptime.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Just tell you hubby you are going to your moms for a couple of hours so he needs to watch the kids and pick a date.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:35 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I work full time too. I take a bus to work. My bus ride is 45 minutes each way. I LOVE my bus ride. I sleep, read, think, whatever. That is my break.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:36 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• i feel ya, momma. i worked fulltime, married but living as a single-parent (dh's job kept him away from home 3wks/month, then completely the last year). its hard! and frustrating.
    i retired from the salon last summer, and am a sahm now. so i get a 'break' every day from 8am-3pm...except for the housecleaning/maintenance/yard/etc, which i did when i was working fulltime, as well.
    sounds trite, but is everyone healthy, not sick? think on that... :))
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:36 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My mom lives about two hours away. I want to go spend the night and day with her. Sometimes I just need mama time even though I am almost 35. He and his mom are not close so he just doesnt get it.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Never, only when I ask my mom to watch my DD, or my hubby watches my DD while I take a shower or something.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:37 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I don't think it's unreasonable. My hubby and I both work full time plus we each have a part-time job. I rarely get "me" time unless the kids are in bed. Thank goodness I have an awesome MIL - she will take the kids one-two weekends per month so hubby and I can have our alone time. Most of the time we just stay home and enjoy the quiet, or we get some much needed projects around the house done!
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 11:47 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My break is usually saturday morning when I try to sleep in! Of course, since there is no school, that is when my kids decide it's time to get up a 6 am and wake us up too. I also work an hour from home, so that ride in and ride out is also pretty much the only time I am without my kids.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I'll be eligible for parole in about 10 more years I hope. I'm serving 19 years of hard time and good behavior will not get me out of early. So I have bitten the bullet, have learn to LOVE my time here, and have stopped complaining about it. Now I won't trade it for the world! My kids are 9 and almost 10. We homeschool so they are here with me 24/7 expect for those times they aren't because they are at scouts, sports, their friends house, etc. You know those activities where you drop them off and in about an hour or so later you pick them up.

My mom lives about 1.5 hours away from me. I would never go spend the night at her house. The day, yes, but never the night unless we were traveling together. My mom and I (with children) have taken trips together so I (and the kids) spent the night at her house the day before leaving, because we take the car and generally leave early morning.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:51 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I understand entirely. Sometimes WE need to be the child who gets mothered. I hope you can get your husband to see this. Maybe his mother could watch your kiddos overnight sometime so you could go?
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2011