Head or Tails: Decides A Local School Board Member.

Earlier this month we voted, cast or ballots, for several local races. On such race was for a seat on one of the several local school boards. Apparently the ballots have been counted and it's a TIE between the incumbent and the challenger. So to break the tie the county clerk has decided to have a coin toss. Winner of the coin toss wins the election and gets to take his place on the school board.

Do you think this is the appropriate way to handle a tie or do you think it should be done differently?

SAHMinIL2

Asked by SAHMinIL2 at 11:37 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Doesn't sound very official to me, but I guess it's cheap and quick. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:40 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• That's Illinois for you!! Sorry, but that's a pathetic way to settle a political contest. I'm surprised someone didn't find a few "lost" ballots in an old desk drawer to settle the election!! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:39 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Oh sure, they could have just recounted it a couple of times and the Dem would have won.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Sounds typical of government in general and an awful way of settling an election. I'm not sure where that would be in any constitution or charter. A recount and then a run-off vote sounds more appropriate. I hope the county clerk doesn't get re-elected, he/she seems to have a problem with responsible governing.
    dzeldaz

Answer by dzeldaz at 1:21 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I'd be surprised that there isn't already proper procedure spelled out for such a scenario. Sounds like someone is too lazy to do it properly.
    Kelly913

Answer by Kelly913 at 1:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• The coin toss sounds good to me, another election would take to long and would be costly just for a school board member.

The loser will just have to learn to dig up a few more bodies to vote next time.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:26 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Thank-you Ladies! You're right Scout_Mom it doesn't sound very "official" and I'm really wondering if that even "legal". It just doesn't seem right or valid to me. What about an re-vote? Or something other then tossing a coin. Oh and LoriKeet--Oh I know, nothing good really comes out of the modern day Illinois politics. I truly mean nothing!
    SAHMinIL2

Comment by SAHMinIL2 (original poster) at 12:04 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Seems old school but it works.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2011