• In the Spotlight:

toy vacuum or small dust buster for a 3 yr old?

My son is 3. he is a virgo like me and loves to help clean. last time i vacuumed he said," Why dont i have a vacuum?" i told him i didnt kow and asked if he wanted one for xmas... he said yes so here is my delema... he seems too old for a toy vacuum, he is really tall i dont think they would fit his build, he jsut seems too big for that. so i was think ing i should get him a little, not too powerful dustbuster... so his help would actually be productive. i would mount it in the utility closet up high and only use it with supervision... what do you think? what would you do??

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 11:42 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• oh hell yes! use this helper phase to the fullest extent. it won't last long.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 11:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I say go for it, who says cleaning is just for girls?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• just for girls??? omg. i have him, my dh and another boy on the way... it is NOT just for girls.... that would be just me and i wont do it!! my son even LIKES to help me clean the bathrooms!!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:46 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Virgos are the best...I am one too...and yes we like to be clean and tidy...
    I would get him both... I do not think that he is too old for the toy vacuum...my daughter (my Gemini lol) still uses hers and she is 4 1/2...she loves to vacuum with me.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:47 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• they have a little dirt devil vacume with a dust buster included at walmart i think it was like seventeen dollars
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:56 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Go for it. I set my kids loose with a Swiffer dry mop as soon as they can walk! We have two and they just go nuts with those things! Then when I am using the big vacuum, my 4 year old always wants a turn, so I just hand it to him and let him clean! Swiffer Dusters are a hit with the kids too.
    icook

Answer by icook at 12:46 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My son loves to clean. we have a vac that has an adjustable handle so he uses a real one. With me watching of course. But i say go for it! Keep him intrested
    lonelymommyof2

Answer by lonelymommyof2 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• How about one of those battery- operated electric sweepers? They're small, def. not as powerful as a vacuum and they're pretty good at picking up lint and stuff.
    dovetailthreads

Answer by dovetailthreads at 2:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My son has loved to clean just like his mom. I thought I wanted to encourage this love for clean and order. And hopefully his future SO will thank me for it. But I am a fan of organic toys and there are natural and safe (plus inexpensive) cleaning toys (that really work) for toddlers and older children. My son has a broom he loves to "seep" the floor with and also dust and small hand held duster. I give him organic bamboo cloths to play to wipe up whatever he wants to.  I love the idea that through play he is able to learn life long skills.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• There are toy vacuums that actually pick up stuff too. They aren't as loud as a dust buster so they won't hurt his ears as much.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2008