Cry it Out

Question to those who successfully did cry-it-out to sleep method:
How old was your baby? How long did it take the baby to get used to it?
Thanks.

Meachan

Asked by Meachan at 12:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• not successful for me. my children would cry until they got themselves sick if i let them. some babies will go with it, others wont. i tried it with transitioning to the crib for my first daughter and yeah, did not work so well.. and tried it with my youngest for the same thing, same result. different things for different kids work.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• We didn't CIO until almost a year. Before that I felt it wasn't necessary. If she was crying, there was something up...she needed her mommy.

Now when you start noticing that there is nothing wrong and she cries and as soon as you pick her up, she is happy...then she has you trained and is only crying to be held. You will know when that happens.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I would wait until you kiddo is older,,, 3 months is too young to start this...and honestly go get one of those baby monitors that let you see into the room,, I had a dear friend who was a big advocate of this, until her boy got stuck in between the crib and the mattress,,she went out and got a television monitor the next day,,,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It really depends on the child and the lifestyle of the family IMHO. I never had to do the CIO because my kids all pretty much went with the schedule. With my third child I breastfed and co-slept for the first few months then tried a crib. WOW! I had a problem. She would scream if we put her in a bassinet, playpen or crib. We found out through a doctor a few months later and after some trial and error. My lil bit was claustrophobic. If she was on an open bed she was fine but put her in anything that confined and she would cry herself into hyperventilation. To this day she is somewhat claustrophobic but there doesn't seem to be a repeat with my youngest. She is breastfed and co sleeps but for naps and during the day has no problem sleeping in the crib or playpen. Consider your options and lifestyle and do a bit of trial and error. Good Luck!
    RayneStorm3

Answer by RayneStorm3 at 11:16 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• 14 months is when it was a useful tool for DS. It took 2 days.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Ouch - I got voted down 3 times for this - betcha is has more to do with another post I answered than this one lol!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:21 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• the first time we tried around 4 months, but she was too young & it didnt work. we tried again around 6 months, about the same time we introduced baby food, and it worked in 3 days.

but my DD has always been very independent & a good sleeper since birth...it doesnt work for all kids.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:46 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My daughter was 7 mos old and it took two nights.
    Jaliceawrites

Answer by Jaliceawrites at 12:03 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Well, it's been a while, but back in the good 'ole days, there really was no other options. Most of us had other children who we needed to tend to. So, you simply laid your child in the crib and let him fuss until he fell asleep. It wasn't a big deal like it is now. You kept a bassinet next to your bed, for maybe the first two to three weeks. Then after that, you wanted to get him used to the crib and sleeping by himself. So, you simply laid him in the crib at the same times he had already gotten adjusted to with his naps and such. Most of the time, in fact, we didn't have all this crying and fussing, because he was already semi adjusted to a schedule. If he wasn't ready for bed when we were, he would be in a crib where he was safe, so if he fussed, so be it. He eventually fell asleep. The thing you have to remember is, he's not hurting himself. He is safe. It might hurt your ears, but you too, will adjust.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:07 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Meachan, I notice in your profile that baby is three months... CIO advocates say six months is the soonest to use the method.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:07 PM on Apr. 25, 2011