Home-made baby food?

To those who made baby food by yourself: do you steam the vegetable or boil them? Why? Is it easier or more nutritious?

Meachan

Asked by Meachan at 12:06 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My sister is doing this right now. She boils or steams according to what she is making. This is the site she uses: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 12:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I think steaming retains more of the nutrients than boiling does. I got a baby food maker called a Baby Brezza and it steams the food and then blends it for you so there isn't any guessing. I also have the 'Baby Bullet' but you have to have steamed the food before you blend it, it doesn't do both for you and is a little more inconvenient.
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I steamed them and then just mashed them with the back of the fork rather than blending. There's no need to puree.

Answer by missanc at 1:35 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I put it all in my "magic bullet" and blend it up, stick it in the microwave for 5 seconds and call it good. steaming is more nutritious because having the water actually boil and fully cover the veggies takes more of the good stuff out and puts it into the water instead.
    Anonymous

• I boiled them and used the water along with it when I blender-ed them

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It really depends on what I am doing. I guess usually steam but for things other than veggies such as sweet potatoes or apples I boil. I also use some fresh and some frozen items.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:16 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Steam the veggies, and I always just baked my sweet potatoes!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:28 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Steaming removes less nutrients so if you can steaming is better. I personaly followed "baby led weaning" though and never made baby food per say.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:30 PM on Apr. 25, 2011