Geo Trax or Thomas Wooden Railway??

My son will be 2 in early March. I am debating on what to get him for Christmas and can't decide between these two things. Should I get him a Thomas wooden train starter set and some additional trains or some Geo Trax stuff. The Thomas stuff is so cute and I hear that boys love Thomas but it is kind of expensive and I am not sure if he is too young. I thought by starting early, he could develop a nice collection as he gets older. The Geo Trax looks cool too and is much cheaper so I could get more. I just can't decide. Help!! Can any of you give me some pros or cons for either or both? Thanks bunches!!

M2Mommy

Asked by M2Mommy at 11:42 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in General Parenting

• We have both....the geo track is less exspensive....both the Thomas is bigger... Ummm..\
    if you are considering the Thomas you can buy stuff little by little...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:45 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i have the thomas set. i wish i would have gone with the geo tracks because you get more for the money .. at the time my son was really into the thomas shows and now he really doesnt care about the show but still plays trains so that is my opinion...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My son has both - thomas wooden is more expensive, but there is more variety. My son is 4 1/2 and has been a HUGE train fan for over 3 years. This is a nice long phase!!!
    you could start with the Thomas figure 8 track , see how he likes it and build from there. Single engines run from 8 - $20, so it's great gift ideas for family
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 12:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I'd go with the GeoTrax sets. My son glows up at Thomas when he's on tv...but is kinda like whatever when we bought him toys. We purchased him the airport and grand central station w/ a bunch of accessories for christmas, so I'm sure it'll be a big hit.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 12:40 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I don't know about the other, but I personally would not buy any Thomas the Tank toys. They are still very toxic and no corrections have been made on the toys that are made in China. They got a fine and a strudy warning - but then nothing. Nada. So when the paint starts to peel your child is holding a toxic toys. Especially if he licks them. I like Brio train table and set. Earth friendly, about the same price, and lasts for multiple generations. Simple colors are pleasing to the eye and hours of fun. just my two cents. My two year old also has a train set we just put up. He is in Heaven right now. What a good mom, your child is really going to love the holiday gift.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Last year my son really wanted Thomas stuff (he was 2 going on 3). We ended up getting him GeoTrax for one because it was a lot cheaper and two because that was when all that Thomas stuff was getting recalled and I didn't want to have to deal with it. He loves the Geo Trax, and there's lots of add on stuff you can get. And he and his brother break seemingly everything, but they have yet to break any of the Geo Trax stuff! I can't really say anything about the Thomas stuff, but I would definately recommend the Geo Trax toys.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 4:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2008