Is water birth a better and easier way to give birth?

terripocket56

Asked by terripocket56 at 12:07 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• its more natural for the baby and people don't generally feel as much pain in water.. so i would think yes.. but once you give birth climbing out of the tub is hard..

I would rather an above water birth just so that if there is a problem we can see right away instead of waiting until the birth is complete.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:11 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It really depends on your medical condition and how comfortable you are with who is supervising the water birth. Some places require your waters to be broken before you get into the water so they can do a meconium test and they won't allow a water birth if the baby has passed meconium in utero. However there is a lot of evidence to show that it is less traumatic on the mother and child to birth in the water. It has also shown to reduce tearing by a large amount.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 12:11 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• no answer myself but the answers that are here just sold me on water birth. bump.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 12:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It did for me. 5 kids. All natural. first two at the hospital stuck in a bed, 3rd home birth (amazing and super easy), 4th home birth transfer to hospital (not fun experience), 5 birthing center water birth.... hands down the easiest and less painful, even though I went from 4 cm to fully dilated and pushing within 30 min.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• For some yes. I definitely wanted to labor in the water and did with both mine, but when it came time to push I DID NOT want to be in the water only because my body didn't feel right. I had two all natural births and the first my water broke so they said no tub, but they did allow me in the shower with a seat and hand held shower head which was great and the midwife was more then happy to deliver there, but I chose not to. My second I labored at home in the hot tub as long as possible and was pushing withn 30 minutes of arriving at the hospital and the nurses were still filling the tub when I started to push so no tub at the hospital for me. I did not want to push in the tub then either. I have heard it is wonderful to push in the tub and less stress for the baby, but it just wasn't for me. Water during labor was great though.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:28 PM on Apr. 25, 2011