What do I do?

My 2 month old has a horrible diaper rash, and has had it since we brought her home from the hospital. It's now getting worse and worse. We've used every OTC diaper rash cream we could find, used home remedies, used the Aveeno oatmeal stuff, been to the doctor where they prescribed her something like monastat, but a little bit stronger.... Nothing is working. My Mom who is a nurse said the best thing is to let her "hang out" without a diaper on. I've been doing that, and nothing. I am frustrated because most of this poor baby's life she's had a diaper rash that won't go away!! And she's miserable with it! HELP PLEASE!

mommy080911

Asked by mommy080911 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried switching diaper brands?
    Anonymous

• first off, this may sound so odd.. change diaper brands. huggies made a friend of mine's daughter have a diaper rash like crazy and never went away.. she changed to pampers and boom, it started working. keep with the creams and change diapers try different brands for a week each and see if it helps
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:25 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• We did change diaper brands and that dang rash has stayed put... It's stubborn =\
    mommy080911

Comment by mommy080911 (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It could be thrush. That sometimes manifests as a diaper rash. I found Lotrimin AF worked really well; it's an antifungal.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Try a dermatologist maybe.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 12:57 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• You need to talk with the doc. It could be thrush or if you are nursing it could be something in the food you are eating that is bothering her. If not nursing it could be the brand/type of formula you are using.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It sounds like it may be a yeast diaper rash. is it getting really red? If so , you can try over the counter Monistat cream, but i never had much luck with that. I always took mine in to the doctors office and they would prescribe Nystastin cream. If you know your pedis office real well, you may can call and tell them that you are having a diaper rash problem and you think it is a yeast infection could they call you in something. That is all i have to do for refills now. Good Luck. until you can get to doctor, try washing the area with a warm rag and a little soap between diaper changes. It is more time consuming but cleans a little better that a wippy.
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 3:55 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• oops sorry i missed the part where you said you have already been to the doctor.
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 3:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• That's ok ;)
    Her whole bottom area was red... It's now down to a pink. I feel so bad for her. Thank you all for your advice, I really do appreciate it!!

mommy080911

Comment by mommy080911 (original poster) at 6:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• She may be allergic to the diapers, because there are chemicals in disposables that make it so all the waste is absorbed better. If you can, you should look into fabric diapers and let baby be naked as often as possible. It may also be that your baby is allergic to all the creams. Good luck though! Both my babies have very sensitive skin, like me and it is a constant battle!!
    mamabaier

Answer by mamabaier at 1:53 AM on Apr. 26, 2011