Why do people use the ER as their Primary Care, when they have PCP's??

Don't you people know that the ER is for EMERGENCIES, not stuff you should be seeing your regular doctor for?? That's why people that need stitchesand bones set sit there is agony for hours, why wait times are so long!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I know what you mean.... I took my dd to the ER one time because she had cracked her head and was disoriented and puking. We got there and were told to have a seat. We waited half an hour just for vitals. During that time she threw up four times. There were a bunch of kids running around climbing on things and jumping from one chair to the other. I know that those kids did not need to be in the emergency room. Yet they were the ones being seen and having their vitals taken. Meanwhile I had to wait with my miserable child as I was freaking out. When they finally got her back to a room and realized that she was all kinds of dehydrated and disoriented they told me we should not have had to wait as long as we did and the apologized for it. But that did little to help after the fact.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 1:05 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Sometimes you get scared. Especially with young children who can't tell you where it hurts.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:57 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• well...some PCP don't always have an available spot for you when you call, if you need to be seen today..they will most likely tell you to go to a nearby walkin-clinic, for faster service. and...sometimes, things don't always happen within the ooen-hours of a clinic. therefore, sometimes the ER is your best bet.
    just sayin'..
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:58 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• And sometimes things happen after your doctors offices are closed. It makes parents feel better knowing that their child is getting the care they need now, rather than waiting until the next day or whenever,
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• it's something called DriveThru medicine. People want what they want NOW, just like a drive thru. It has led to greater wait times for true emergencies, people being exposed to things they don't need to be exposed to, and people no longer knowing how to recognize a true emergency.

balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:58 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• well when a child is really sick and cannot be seen by a doctor and a new mother is freaking out and has no one to ask i dont see anything wrong with them going to the er. its not like one person can make the wait of 4 hours any quicker
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 1:01 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I have to go to the ER for things that aren't emergencies because my doctor has like a two week wait to see me. if i have some weird infection and i can't wait two weeks to be seen!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:01 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Thank goodness for the ER when my sons doctors office was closed and he was burning up sickly and close to death. It Was the ER that diagnosed him with Cancer. I did take him to his PCP they would give him children's Tylenol and send him home later that night he would be worse. I would never have wasted their time or mine if the PCP would have taken it more serious

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:05 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I work in an ER and a lot of issues that people mentioned are true. We have better hours 24/7 365 there is a Doctor either there or on call. We can't turn anyone away because of EMTALA Laws. We also don't ask for a co-pay up-front like some physician's offices do. Kids can't help that they get sick after 5pm on a Friday night. If you have a primary care provider knowing their pager service number or office after hours number is important...they know your child better than the ER doctor. Depending on the ER Physician that is on you get someone who is trained for dealing with adults and trauma. Most times your child will be seen in ER and you will be asked to follow up with your family care provider...many times people are unable to get into their Primary Care provider so they come back to the ER and see a different doctor...and they get another referral to follow up... it becomes a vicious cycle.
    michcous

Answer by michcous at 1:38 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Where I live tho there are a ton of illegal aliens who go to er cuz they can't afford a dr. And they won't pay the er bill. However, er sees people based on how much of an emergency it is.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:59 PM on Apr. 25, 2011