How do I get my 11 week old to not throw such big fits all the time?

He is becoming very demanding, when he wants to eat, if I do not have the bottle ready in about 30 seconds, he is screaming so loud and his face turns red. He seems to be getting more demanding, getting madder when he does not get what he wants. And at night he will wake up and want to be held. I try letting him cry it out, but again he gets mad so fast, if I don't tend to him he cries to the point where he can barely breathe

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 11:55 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh, hun, this is perfectly normal! Those darn little babies are so demanding at this age. My son was the exact same way. If I didn't have his food ready when HE was ready to eat: he'd throw a fit. Then, he'd be so busy crying he wouldn't take the boob. I had to wait until he was done and ready, then offer it.

Try to keep in mind that at this age: his needs and wants are the same. He's not doing it to test you or make you mad. Crying is his only way to communicate with you. Also, please reconsider the whole cry it out thing. Even the experts recommend you don't use this method on anyone under 4-6 months old.

Hang in there: it DOES get better. It just takes some time!
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 12:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• This is very normal. My daughter was the same way at that age. It gets better, trust me. Good luck.
    Brooklyn36

Answer by Brooklyn36 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Offer food before he's hungry and don't let him cry it out, it only makes things worse.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:39 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• At ll weeks a baby has not yet learned that you are going to take care of his/her needs. God gave him the great survival skills of driving you, the caregiver, to take care of him, by all the crying. He will grow out of this, once he learns you are going to feed him. So reassure him that you are going to take care of his needs and try to sense his hunger before the crying starts and soon enough he won't be in such a panic while your getting the food ready.
    Anonymous