what can i do about my congested baby?

he is 9 months old and is not sick, just teething and has a really runny nose. and he still breastfeeds alot, mostly at night, and last night we got no sleep, he wants to nurse and go to sleep,but cant breath, any suggestions would be great, thank you!

lyla512

Asked by lyla512 at 11:56 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you have one of those snot suckers from the hospital? Not those little crappy ones. Those work wonders. The kid don't like it though. I auctully would suck the snot out of the nose and the mouth.It's not fun or pretty but it does work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• get a cool air humidifier.. they work wonders. you can also use vics but only put it on his feet!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:59 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Also prop him up when sleeping.
    Anonymous

• prop him up when sleeping, if in the crib, put a pillow UNDER the crib where his head goes, in co-sleeping, prop him on a pillow. you can turn the shower on really hot, sit on the toilet with him and let the steam break up the congestion, get a nose bulb and suck that stuff out. instead of saline drops, you can use breastmilk, put a few drops of bm in his nose and that will break it up, then suck the snot out. if all else fails, you can use saline drops, then suck that stuff out.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I agree with armywife. Whenever my DD is congested, I take a bath with her and suck out the boogies towards the end.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• warm bath, cool humidifier, baby vicks, saline spray, & a booger sucker.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i'm having this same issue with my dd. where do you find a good snot sucker? the one i have doesn't have very good suction!
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 12:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Turn your shower on to hot in the bathroom and set in the steamy bathroom with him for about 15min. Use saline mist for his little nose (little remedies is what we use) and use the little remedies baby rub on his chest and back. Put him in some warm pajamas.
    passionmom119

Answer by passionmom119 at 1:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• boogie suckers prop the child up baby vics
    lalasha

Answer by lalasha at 1:29 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Try a vapor plug or vapor fan.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 3, 2008