Weaning from bottle

Ok mommas....
My youngest turned 1 about 3 weeks ago & she is still on the bottle (about 3 a day...morning, noon and night - before bed). No bashing please about milk at night w/the teeth...I know this, which is why I am trying to get her off the bottle.

She also gets up in the middle of night & wants a bottle.

I have tried giving her water in a bottle at night instead of milk.
I've tried milk in a sippy cup at night...she screams and cries until I give her milk in a bottle. She will use a sippy cup w/a smoothie or juice in it during the day, but at night she insists on milk in a bottle.

How can I get her to sleep through the night and NOT want a bottle of milk during the night?

Thanks mommas!

cheekycherub

Asked by cheekycherub at 1:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hi :) Well..let me tell you about my little girl Aubrey,lol. Shes my middle child (my 1st was weaned like a super star at 12 months..thought I was a pro..HA!) but AUbrey had other plans. She did not break from the bottle until she was 16 months..and she too had to go to sleep with a bottle.She too would wake at night for a bottle.Dr. told me ..no no..stop the middle of the night bottle..its learned..not nutritionally necessary. So..I had to let her cry :( First night when she woke, I let her cry for 5 minutes..then gave her the bottle.2nd night..10 mins..next night 15 minutes...next night...she slept all night :) I would suggest elminating that middle of the night bottle first then work on eliminating the bedtime bottle..that way your not traumatizing her with too much change all at once. Hope this helps a little..good luck! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• i want to say to just take it away from her. that is what the doc told me to do with my little one and it worked after about a week. trust me you are probly going to go crazy because they are going to cry and scream and kick and anything else you can think of but you will just have to deal with it. they don't like change and this is a major one. they will cry themselves to sleep and you will want to go get them or give them a bottle but DONT because that will not help at all. i had to go through it and now i am glad that i did.
    serenitysmom20

Answer by serenitysmom20 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Teach her how to use a sippy, first of all. After that just throw them away. Does she eat baby food or regular adult food? If so feed her before she goes to bed. That should help her sleep better.

Answer by louise2 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• But I didn't know about his vitimin deficiency because there were NO signs of it, he was not only a good weight, he was OVER weight, super tall for his age, strong, walking early (8 mos) he was thriving. But Because I gave him a bottle too long, and at night unknowing of what was going on it costed him two teeth before he was even 14 mos old, and until u watch them cut two teeth out of your compleatly unmedicated baby while holding him down and cap two teeth, you'll never truly understand the problems bottles can cause! I wish you the VERY best of luck mama, But like I said, throw them away, break them right infront of her, say baba is broken, than hand her a sippy cup. she will drink when she is thirsty, she will not get herself sick, or starve. I PROMISE!!! I had to do the same thing with Milk- Just refuse and give him water, he drank it when he was thirsty.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 2:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• No good advice from me on getting her off the bottle, but as for the sleeping thru the night I did read somewhere that it isn't enough to give them a big dinner or a big bottle right before bed, that they need to be eating enough all throughout the day to stay full thru the night. Thinking about that kind of helped me with my DD to make sure she was getting enough filling solids throughout the day. I also started reducing the amount of bottle I gave her in the middle of night down to just a couple of ounces. Good luck- I know it's tough!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Break the bottle right infront of her. Babies understand broken. I knew if I didn't get rid of it it would be easier to give in. My son was 13 months when he had to get two teeth pulled unmedicated (his eye teeth) from bottle rot, this was 3 months after they even came in, infact, they wernt all the way in when they started rotting they had to wait until the teeth were compleatly erupted before they could pull them. AND they had to crown his two front teeth because they were so dammaged. Now let me tell you, my son isnt the avrage baby, he has born with vitimin dificiencies that caused his enamal on his teeth to be very week, normally a baby doesnt see a dentist until 2 or later, where is my son has rotting cavities on his teeth visable to the naked eye. you would think, unless I was feeding him bottles of crack and suger every hour for 3 months there would be no way his teeth could be in that condition. CONT
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 2:16 PM on Apr. 25, 2011