Dialating without contractions???

May sound like a stupid question, but can you go into labor if you are not dilating??? I am 37 weeks, efaced, baby is dropped, doctor says I'm ready to go anytime, but I am not dialating. I have been getting major back cramps ( awful to the point I cant move) rib pain, hip pain, and stabbing pains through my pelvic but am not having any cotractions or no more braxton hicks contractions!!! Is it possible to dialate without the contractions???? and how can I start contractions???

missrayanne

Asked by missrayanne at 11:56 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Honey, You are having contractions. Your back is doing the work. At 37 weeks, you must be so uncomfortable, but just have a little more patience. The baby is probably laying in a position that makes it more feasible for your body to use your back muscles. Take lots of walks. That is what speeds labor the most. Lots of activity. Good luck!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• sounds like you may have back contractions. and yes, it is possible to dialate without contractions. i did with both my kids
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• yeah it sounds like you are having contractions. i would call your doctor. i would also count how many times this pain is coming and how long it lasts. but i would call your doctor, and let him/her know how you are feeling. you might have started to dialate since you have last been checked. good luck
    Anonymous