Blood Pressure

I just got back from the docs and my blood pressure was high. This wasnt the first time. Anyone have any tips to lower it? Do you think its just a pregnancy thing? (Im currently 23 weeks)What will they do if it dosent go down by my next appointment on may 23?

auggirl11

Asked by auggirl11 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had high BP in the beginning also. I think the doc just made me nervous LOL cause it went down. But try to maybe cut down on salt and fatty foods also don't get too stressed out. Good Luck!
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 1:48 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• they might put you on bed rest. i had the same thing but they found out too late and i started having problems when i went in labor.
    serenitysmom20

Answer by serenitysmom20 at 1:51 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Be sure you are taking in enough fluid & not over-doing salty food. Exercise moderately--gentle walking, not too fast, for 30 minutes once or twice a day. A calcium-magnesium-potassium supplement may help. Deep breathing-meditation will lower stress & get more oxygen to your baby. Eat healthfully--toss the junk food if you haven't already. Sometimes this just happens, especially in first pregnancies--it did to me.
    MusherMaggie

Answer by MusherMaggie at 1:52 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• this is my 2nd baby
    auggirl11

Comment by auggirl11 (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Preeclampsia (pregnancy induced high BP) can be very dangerous. If unchecked, it can develop into eclampsia, which is strokes/seizures. Another sign for it is protein in your urine.

Cutting back on salt and drinking lots of fluid may help, but buy a BP monitor to check yourself at home. They run relatively cheap ($25 or so), and write down your measurements at different parts of the day. Some peoples' BP goes up just seeing a dr, so this may help rule it out. If you notice your pressure making a big jump, call your dr immediately or get to the hospital.

If you have preeclampsia, the only cure is giving birth. Do some research on the condition, and good luck!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I developed pre-eclampsic in week 38 and was induced two weeks ago. BP was 160/120. Baby was born at 39 wks, 2 days. Had to be in the hospital for a full week, with three full days IV'd up to Magnesium Sulfate to drop my blood pressure.

High Blood Pressure is NOT to be taken lightly in pregnancy!

Aside from your doctor, I would consult a nutritionist who is knowledgable about the correlation between a pregnant woman's Protein intake and lower rates of pre-eclampsia. (Most Midwives can put you in the right direction if they don't know).

Good Luck!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 4:15 PM on Apr. 25, 2011